Engage with Grand Canyon University's (GCU) vibrant Spiritual Life community and take a deeper look at the various ministries that are happening around the world, in your backyard and on our campus. From weekly devotionals to Chapel highlights and features that reflect God's work in the hearts of our students, staff and faculty, each article is presented by GCU's Spiritual Life team and our special guests. We hope that God will challenge and encourage you through His words and the stories about His people that inspire us all.

Weekly Devotional: Finding Overwhelming Peace in Overwhelming Times

0

By Ally Richmond
Professional Writing Major, Honors College

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” -John 16:33

College can be stressful, and it’s easy to find ourselves overworked, overbooked and overwhelmed. In the midst of our burn out and anxiety, we can take peace in knowing that God can supply us with an overwhelming amount of grace and love.

In John 16:33, Jesus says, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Jesus has overcome death and all earthy troubles in order to being us peace. If He can overcome the world, then He can surely help us to overcome our anxieties and stress.

When we are feeling worn out and weary, God states in Jeremiah 31:25 that “I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.”

How great a promise this is! When we feel powerless, God gives us strength to keep going time after time. It is this strength that we so desperately need when we feel overwhelmed by our to-do lists and earthy priorities.

In Psalm 61-2-3, the Psalmist writes, “From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.”

God is so much higher than anything we are worried about. Our worries cannot compare with the joy and peace that exudes from Jesus Christ. This is why it is so important that we rely on Him and not ourselves when we are feeling out of control.

Finally, in John 14:27, Jesus says, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

We do not have to fear anything, especially our worries, because God promises to provide peace so that we need not be afraid.

So if you are feeling overwhelmed, like the stress of school is just too much, lean on God who never grows weary and has the power to provide you with overwhelming peace over and over again.

Grand Canyon University is committed to following the Lord in all circumstances. If you would like to learn more about GCU’s Christian identity and heritage or would like to read more devotionals please visit our website and check out the GCU Blog.

About Allison Richmond
Professional Writing Major, College of Humanities and Social Sciences

Allison Richmond is an Arizona native and a junior at Grand Canyon University. She is currently earning her Bachelor of Science in English with an Emphasis in Professional Writing with a minor in marketing. She hopes to use her degree to pursue a career in journalism or advertising in order to share her ideas and creativity with the world. Allison has a passion for writing. She has gotten the opportunity to pursue this passion through writing for Odyssey Online, working on writing research with her professor and writing for the GCU blogs. When she is not writing, Allison enjoys reading, traveling, baking and spending time with her friends. 

Read more about Allison