Engage with Grand Canyon University's (GCU) vibrant Spiritual Life community and take a deeper look at the various ministries that are happening around the world, in your backyard and on our campus. From weekly devotionals to Chapel highlights and features that reflect God's work in the hearts of our students, staff and faculty, each article is presented by GCU's Spiritual Life team and our special guests. We hope that God will challenge and encourage you through His words and the stories about His people that inspire us all.

Weekly Devotional: The American Dream vs. God’s Plan

0

By Quin Jackson
Local Outreach Student Leader

“Yet you, Lord, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.” (Isaiah 64:8)

The world is loud. It shouts things at each of us and has mastered the art of raising chaos in not only our lives, but also in our minds and souls.

We are coached to work hard, earn good grades and get the dream job. And there is truth to that strategy! 2 Chronicles 15:7 states, “But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.” There is no denying the hard work and busy schedule that comes with college, but there’s also a balance that is so easily lost during this time. How can we work diligently while staying in-tune and eager for God’s voice?

Though this would be the perfect time to answer that question and offer world class advice, I’ve got nothing. In fact, I’m right there with you. I’m just as confused, disappointed and frustrated, because I’ve done it. I let the world’s loud voices convince me that my color-coded planner and ridiculously busy schedule is what deemed me “successful“ and although by the world’s standards I’m “more prepared” or have an “intermediate” LinkedIn profile, I feel just as lost.

I realize that in the midst of all this “gain,” all I’ve really done is lose time and perspective. I work so hard to attain all that I have, that I forgot to enjoy the process. I was so submissive to the mold, the plan and what I thought I needed to do, that I tuned out God’s voice and guidance in my life.

Ephesians 5:15-17 warns us by stating, “Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.”

I’ve come to know the greatest crime in life is to dilute God’s beautiful plan and creation to a mundane, daily routine. He has so much more for us than the 9-5 work day or the “American Dream.” I’m not suggesting that a desk job is a crime, because we will have our turn at the desk job, but anything that takes priority over our genuine and authentic relationship with Him is a shame. The moment we choose to worship the plan, schedule or routine instead of God Himself, is the moment we subtract His intended joy and beauty for our lives.

So, let’s stop underestimating God’s creativity and settling for what the world tells us is important. He has designed each of us with intelligence and intention and has such big plans for all of us, ones that we don’t even allow ourselves to dream. Although the unknown is terrifying, don’t let the world yell at you anymore. Don’t let them rob you of the joy and excitement of listening to God’s voice. Don’t trade in God and His plans for your own. Be brave and dare to live the life that God has so lovingly crafted for you.

Grand Canyon University provides our students with opportunities to grow spiritually. To learn more about GCU’s Christian community, visit our website or use the Request More Information button at the top of this page.

About Quin Jackson
Marketing Major, Digital Copywriter for GCU Blogs

Quin Jackson is a senior at Grand Canyon University, studying marketing and communications. She was born in Kansas, raised in Virginia, went to high school in Ohio and is now continuing her education in Arizona! Quin has loved her time here at GCU and is so excited to see what is in store for her and her final semester on campus. She is involved in Local Outreach and specifically serves as the head student leader for GCU’s Habitat for Humanity team. In her free time, Quin enjoys reflective writing, living room dance parties and road trips with her favorite people.

Read more about Quin.