Living Faith is a Christian blog that interacts with a variety of biblical, theological and practical topics written by Grand Canyon University's College of Theology faculty and specially invited guests of the college. Our content provides practical and biblical advice from a Christian worldview for living our faith in the midst of an increasingly secularized world. In addition, our content wrestles with cultural topics and issues that challenge how we live out our faith as believers. For this reason, contributors to our Christian blog strive to write with compassion and apologetic concern to honor Christ and edify the church in every way possible.

Theology Thursday: Redeeming His Love

0

By Todd Forrest
Faculty, College of Theology

In a recent conversation with a friend, I was given a car wash coupon. The coupon stated, “good for the redemption of one super deluxe wash at —“. Being a hose and bucket guy in my driveway, I was anxious to use this. This was the hand wash and dry with wax, sun screen and other stuff I did not know my car needed. This simple piece of paper was going to transform my car inside and out. At the bottom of my coupon was a small signature of the owner. It was not the coupon, but the signature of the man that would be paying for my carwash that made all the difference.

There is a word that is common in Christian circles but may not be fully understood.

Redemption.

To redeem something is to pay a payment or to be given in exchange for. Jesus came to the earth to redeem all creation from sin. In the Bible the Book of Colossians 1:13, 14 states, “For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”

Just as my car was “rescued” from the dirt inside and out, our lives are rescued by the work Jesus Christ freely did on the cross. Jesus paid the price so that my sin could be forgiven and there would be hope for a future with him. Just as the car wash owner gave me a coupon to redeem with his signature, God has given us the opportunity to have our sins forgiven, washed away and a brand new life begins.

My promise of redemption of my life was not just a piece of paper, it was a person. God sent his son to validate my rescue from sin. The only thing left is to take the free gift. If you have not yet “redeemed” the coupon God gave you to rescue you from the penalty and pain of sin, he is ready to give you the “super deluxe” life that he intended for us all.

My car was never better after that wash and my life has never been better after I redeemed the gift of salvation in my life.

Check out all of our Theology Thursday articles and return each week for a new post. Learn more about the College of Theology by checking out the website or requesting more information with the button on this page.

About Todd Forrest
Todd Forrest, Faculty College of Theology
Faculty, College of Theology

Todd Forrest has lived his whole life in ministry, growing up as a pastor’s and missionary’s son. He has been in active ministry since 1990, and continues to pastor today. He is a board member of Children of Promise International, caring for orphans in 12 countries. He and his wife, Debbie, have three children, two of which are GCU students.

Read more about Todd Forrest