Living Faith is a Christian blog that interacts with a variety of biblical, theological and practical topics written by Grand Canyon University's College of Theology faculty and specially invited guests of the college. Our content provides practical and biblical advice from a Christian worldview for living our faith in the midst of an increasingly secularized world. In addition, our content wrestles with cultural topics and issues that challenge how we live out our faith as believers. For this reason, contributors to our Christian blog strive to write with compassion and apologetic concern to honor Christ and edify the church in every way possible.

Spiritual Growth Challenge: How to Combat Spiritual Dryness

0

By Andy McClurg
Faculty, College of Theology

Does your love for God sometimes seem like it is like a feeble flame, ready to be blown out by the next strong wind? Do the spiritual disciplines seem at times to be drudgery? Does it sometimes seem as if your prayers are getting no higher than the ceiling? There are at least four steps that we can use to deal with such seasons of spiritual dryness.

Step 1: Turn to God and Pray

It may sound obvious, but the answer to any problem is to turn to God. God already knows what we are going through, and he wants us to bring all our problems to him. First, I need to turn to God for forgiveness if there is clear sin in my life. But often, God can seem far away even when I am not aware of obvious sins. I can still turn to God, and ask him to help. Psalm 16:11 says: “You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.” I can pray that God will make me know his ways and fill me with joy in his presence.

Step 2: Talk to Yourself Rather than Listening to Yourself

We need to learn to speak the truth to ourselves, rather than listening to the doubts and complaints that come pouring out of our minds. David wrote in Psalm 103:1-2: “Praise the LORD, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, my soul and forget not all his benefits.” David told himself to praise God, and reminded himself of all of God’s blessings. We need to affirm God’s truth to ourselves. For example, as a Christian, God has promised that nothing can separate me from the love of God (Romans 8:38-39).

Step 3: Keep Up Your Spiritual Disciplines

During times when we feel like we are passing through a spiritual wilderness it is critical that we keep practicing our spiritual disciplines, in particular Bible reading, prayer and meeting with other Christians for worship. These disciplines are means that God uses to strengthen us and protect us and we need to keep at them even when we do not feel like it. To paraphrase an old lesson from sailing: “When the wind dies, you need to start rowing.”

Step 3: Wait and Expect God to Answer Your Prayers

Finally, we need to wait on God’s timing and trust that God will answer our prayers when the perfect time arrives. Psalm 40:1-2 says: “I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”

All of us go through times of spiritual drought. We want to turn to God, speak God’s truth to ourselves, continue our spiritual disciplines and wait for God to renew his presence in our lives.

Grand Canyon University offers undergraduate and graduate degrees to Christian students interested in studying theology. The College of Theology establishes a strong framework of contemporary theology and Christian leadership that can prepare you to pursue a range of career paths. Click on the link above to Request More Information today!

About Andrew McClurg
Andy McClurg GCU
Faculty, College of Theology

Dr. McClurg grew up in the Chicago area and graduated from an engineering college. He worked in telecommunications for 14 years before attending seminary and earning a Master of Divinity and a Ph.D. He served as a non-staff elder for six years at Immanuel Baptist Church in Louisville, KY. He and his wife, Janet, are adjusting to life in the desert wilds of Arizona.

Read more about Andrew McClurg