The College of Science, Engineering and Technology offers degree programs that prepare students for high-demand professions in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields. With an emphasis on Grand Canyon University’s Christian worldview, our college believes in instilling social awareness, responsibility, ethical character and compassion. Our blog, BrainSTEM, focuses on topics related to science, engineering and technology, with engaging contributions from students, staff and faculty. On the blog, you can find helpful resources relating to STEM fields and learn more about current events occurring globally, locally and within GCU. We hope to provide our readers with information that helps them learn about the necessary knowledge, skills and mental disciplines to succeed in today’s job market.

James Gordon, MS

Position at GCU: Faculty, College of Science, Engineering and Technology

Bio:

James Gordon, faculty member in computer programming and computer science, joined Grand Canyon University in January 2017. His areas of study and research are data mining/science, data structures and algorithms, object oriented software development and database design. As a grad student at the University of Washington, James researched model-driven development of Web services with delivering software as a service (SaaS). Another area of focus is cloud computing and developing software applications designed for the cloud and other distributed systems. While in Seattle, James founded a startup company called DShift Technologies and spent eight years as a software developer for companies such as Nike, Boeing and Bonneville power. James also has interest in developing software recording technology and music composition; he composed and recorded a song titled “No City Lights” for Windham Hill guitar sampler. James also has an impressive collection of Nike shoes.

Faculty Spotlight Questions:

Who am I and how did I get to GCU?

There was an opening for a full-time computer science teaching position so I submitted my resume thinking it would get lost on some database somewhere. I was teaching already at another college, but I always wanted to be at GCU. I didn’t think I would hear back, but I got a call and I was scheduled for an interview. Two weeks later I hit the ground running and have loved every minute of it!

What do I enjoy most in the College of Science, Engineering and Technology?

I really enjoy working with our students and seeing them grow and excel every semester. Their energy is really what keeps me going. When I see them working hard, being creative and designing new innovative applications, I feel very blessed to be in the classroom with them. Along with our students are our amazing faculty who are always supporting me and sharing their ideas with me. With our focus on learning we all push each other, and I am constantly learning from my peers at GCU. 

What advice do I have for STEM students?

Besides attending every class and working hard on all of your assignments, talk with your classmates about starting a club on campus that focuses on an aspect of technology you really like. Really take time to enjoy being in school and don’t worry so much about rushing through every class and graduating. Walk into every class and remember to have fun! This is a great place to be so really enjoy it and what GCU has to offer. Go to as many Explore More sessions as you can with your faculty as well as GCU basketball games. Lopes Up!