The College of Nursing and Health Care Professions is comprised of diverse health care disciplines, including nursing, health care administration, athletic training, public health and health care informatics. We are united by the common goal of training the next generation of health care professionals and leaders to effectively address health care challenges. The content of this blog includes perspectives on current health care topics, discussion about health care trends, a showcase of successful alumni and faculty and posts about our passion for our respective fields.

Brandon J. Warner, MEd, AT, ATC

Faculty, College of Nursing and Health Care Professionals

Brandon Warner headshotBrandon Warner is the director of athletic training at Grand Canyon University. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point and his master’s degree from the University of Virginia. After his studies at Virginia, he was employed by GCU as the associate head athletic trainer. In this position, he oversaw numerous collegiate athletes and was a preceptor in the athletic training program. He was also an adjunct professor in both the athletic training and exercise science departments. Currently, Brandon has a passion for academic research with interests in therapeutic modalities, arthrogenic muscle inhibition and environmental studies. He is a published author in the “Journal of Sports Rehabilitation” and is working on many more articles. His hobbies include hiking, anthropology, treasure hunting, biking and basketball.

Faculty Spotlight Questions:

Who am I and how did I get to GCU?

I hail from a small farm town of approximately 400 citizens called Almond, WI. There are actually about three times more cows than people in Almond. I graduated from Almond-Bancroft High School and matriculated to the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point. There, my passion for the medical field grew and flourished. I performed research in rehabilitative techniques, microbiology and nanotechnology. Upon graduation, I decided to take a year off of school to collect myself and found employment at the University of Evansville – Indiana. From there, my interested in athletic training grew, and I eventually made a commitment to graduate studies in athletic training at the University of Virginia. At Virginia, I became a published writer and gained a greater appreciation for research. Upon graduation, I was offered employment here at GCU as the associate head athletic trainer. I worked at GCU clinically for three years and transited over to full-time faculty in fall 2014.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions?

There are many things that I enjoy about being part of the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions staff. Mostly, I enjoy the faculty. I enjoy their collaboration on lecture topics and on projects on campus. Also, I enjoy the opportunities to grow in the department as a clinician and educator. The camaraderie formed by our staff is what makes this job so much fun and allows us to become adaptable to any situation that arises.

What advice do I have for students in the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions?

I have three pieces of advice for students. The first is based on my experiences in life and my profession and the others are from the Word of God:

1. Determine your life’s outcome goal. This will allow you to determine your walk through life and with God. My life’s outcome goal is very simple: Through God’s way, I want to be a loving and great husband, father and grandfather, and impact humanity in a positive way. All of my life’s choices currently lead me to those goals.
  2. “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him” (Matthew 7:7-11).

1. “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love Him” (James 1:12)