Join us on Teaching in Purple to find your purpose and passion in the field of education. Discover inspirational stories from future teachers, faculty, staff and alumni from Grand Canyon University. Peek inside the classrooms of today to shape your classroom of tomorrow. You will look great in purple!

Why I Chose GCU for my Early Childhood Education Degree

0

By Kellianne Holland
Early Childhood Education Major, College of Education

When I made the decision to apply to Grand Canyon University, I was questioning what my purpose was. I was looking to find my passion and what I was meant to do in life. I wanted to go to a college that offered the resources I needed as a college student with a learning disability, so I could succeed in the same ways that other students were succeeding.

That’s when it hit me. I wanted to become a teacher! I wanted to start my journey as an early childhood educator. So, I enrolled at Grand Canyon University and I’m now on my way to fulfilling my purpose! Here are the reasons why I chose GCU for my early childhood education degree:

Available Resources

I was very impressed with the resources GCU has to offer. The university has many opportunities for education majors to experience their upcoming professional lives. For example, the University Success course in the College of Education not only helps you navigate your first year at GCU, but it also provides you with a community of other education majors who are going through the same journey as you.

Along with University Success, there are also campus organizations dedicated to education majors, such as Educators Rising of GCU and GCU Best Buddies. These organizations help you on your path to becoming a future educator.

Diversity Everywhere

Diversity is important to me because as a future teacher, I will be in a position where I have a class full of different students from different backgrounds, and I will strive to show each of them the respect that they deserve. To be at a school that celebrates diversity like GCU is wonderful, because your mind becomes open to all possibilities. Grand Canyon University’s diversity reeled me in right away, and I know that it will benefit me and others who are a part of the Lope family.

Faculty with Open Doors and Arms

After recently attending the College of Education Kick-Off Event, I experienced a reoccurring warm feeling. Listening to Dean of the College of Education Kimberly LaPrade, talk about the future she envisioned, I knew that GCU was undoubtedly the best choice I have ever made. She is passionate about education and made it clear that the faculty were going to stand right behind future educators throughout our journey. It made me feel confident in my experience here at Grand Canyon University. I was comfortable and I knew I was going to be in the best of hands. “It is to be, then it’s up to me,” said Associate Dean Deborah Rickey, to the mass of future educators.

Career Opportunities

Grand Canyon University has so many connections and opportunities for students to start a career right after graduation. Many education majors here at GCU are already receiving job offers before graduation!

How is this possible? Well, GCU has many programs and connections with schools everywhere. For example, Lopes Leap to Teach is an education job fair where GCU students are offered teaching positions! Also, education majors get the opportunity to complete practicum hours, which help them gain experience before their student teaching and also develop a relationship with a school that may potentially hire them. GCU opens up doors for aspiring teachers and prepares us to be highly qualified in our profession!

Grand Canyon University is perfect for students like me who want an extraordinary college education and experience, especially those seeking an education degree. The campus life is amazing, the professors are outstanding and the people here are very kind. The environment is awesome and plays a big part of your journey as an education major. Grand Canyon University was the best decision that I have ever made, and I’m so happy to be here!

Grand Canyon University’s College of Education is committed to your success and to your purpose. To learn more about the education degree programs at GCU, visit our website or contact us using the Request More Information button at the top of the page.

About Kellianne Holland
Early Childhood Education Major, Digital Copywriter for GCU Blogs

Kellianne Holland is a freshman studying early childhood development at Grand Canyon University. She loves writing and is very passionate about learning about the mental development of young children. When she isn’t studying or blogging, Kellianne can be found spending her free time making tea and cookies, creating amazing vegan recipes or spoiling her weird little dog, Murphy. She also likes traveling, is an advocate for animal rights and owns a giant collection of mugs and teacups. Kellianne hopes to change the world through one day revolutionizing the way that young children are being taught in school in America. Her motto is “children learn better when they are ready, so why stress them out.”

Read more about Kellianne