Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Making it in Melbourne: The Gold Coast

0

By Kaitlyn Terrey
Digital Design with an Emphasis in Animation Student, College of Fine Arts and Production

Gold Coast is lovely this time of year. Any time of year, really. I spent most of the last few days in Surfers Paradise, appropriately named for its miles of sweeping coastline and constant breakers near the shore, perfect for surfing. Of course, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity so I rented a board myself! I stood up a few times and didn’t succumb to some waves with apparent murderous intentions, so I’d say it was a success. 

Surfers Paradise as a city is a lot like Vegas. Australia with lots of tall buildings, neon lights and things to do. Playing tourist, I went to the Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum, where I may or may not have done a Mission Impossible style laser maze at least six times. Other shenanigans included going to Warner Bros. Movie World, where I got to ride the Southern Hemisphere’s first virtual reality roller coaster, as well as day trips to the stunning Byron Bay and Brisbane. At Warner Bros. Movie World, I had grand plans of getting my photo taken with Batman, only to find out it cost $20. Therefore, this photo with Foghorn Leghorn was the best I could do on a budget.

This last short trip was a perfect way to escape the Melbourne cold for a few days and come close to wrapping up my experience in Australia the way I began it: with sunshine, on the beach!

Students at GCU have an opportunity to study abroad as part of their campus experience. Visit our website or contact us using the Request More Information button at the top of the page for more information.

About Kaitlyn Terrey
Kaitlyn Terrey

Kaitlyn Terrey is a designer, explorer of the world, relentless optimist, pun-generating machine and fan of the finer things in life. She is the most organized spontaneous person you’ll ever meet, and she is serious about good humor. Basically, she is a living, breathing oxymoron. Kaitlyn kind of thought she’d be doing things like saying “ciao” and kissing people she just met on both cheeks at this point in her life, but instead she hammocks on her stomach like an awkward caterpillar, has the freckle pattern of a tortilla and coughs almost every time she laughs. Well, to be fair, sometimes she says chow, but it’s only if she is talking about food. Kaitlyn is a big believer in following one’s dreams and reaching for the stars, as painfully trite as that is. On that topic, she is currently pursuing her lifelong dream of working in animation, by earning her degree in digital design with an emphasis in animation and a minor in film. Also, Jesus is life! Literally. He saved mine and continues to change it everyday.

Read more about Kaitlyn