Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Honors Student Spotlight: Brittany Holen

0

By Cinthia Monge
Marketing Major, Honors College

Brittany Holen is a graduate student, GCU athlete and graduate of the Honors College and Colangelo College of Business.

How has she accomplished this and so much more?

As a transfer Honors College student, Holen’s highlight was the opportunity to travel on the very first honors Europe trip. “The memories I took away were priceless, and I also really appreciated the 26 new acquaintances that grew into friendships over our 12-day excursion.”

Holen served as president of the GCU Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC) as well as the event coordinator for the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) SAAC. SAAC functions as the voice for student-athletes on campus, and they work with members of the athletic administration to improve the overall athlete experience here at GCU.

“My favorite project during the past four years was creating an end-of-the-year celebration set up very similarly to the ESPY Awards,” Holen said.

Holen also led the GCU Sports Business Club. The executive team aimed to provide hands-on opportunities, which would supplement the concepts their members were learning in their courses.

“We had students who worked on various sports projects for the Super Bowl, the College Football Playoffs, the Waste Management Open and countless baseball teams that are here for spring training. Our club was all about the business behind sports,” Holen stated.

Holen did not have a traditional start with the GCU golf team. She enrolled into GCU as a walk-on for the women’s golf team and when she arrived, she realized how severely unprepared she was to compete at the collegiate level.

“I ended up injuring my wrist that first year and had to sit out for half the season (a total of six months),” she said. “When fall came around my sophomore year, I was actually cut from the team. My scores were simply insufficient to be a competitive member of the team. I spent that year training and working away from the team with the one promise of having the opportunity to try out again the following year.”

During the fall of her junior year, she had once again found her name on the roster list. Then, during the summer before senior year, Holen was informed that she had earned an athletic scholarship.

“I still view myself as a walk-on and feel as though I continually have to prove myself, but reaching the goal that I had set at such a young age of becoming a Division I athlete holds a sense of triumphant joy that even for me is difficult to describe.”

To add on to her list of accomplishments, Holen had the opportunity to work at the USA Olympic Track & Field Trials in Eugene, Oregon. Her role was to facilitate smooth flow and transition from the entertainment section to the award ceremony at the Olympic Trials.

“I learned countless skills working as the stage production manager and really don’t know where else I could have gained such valuable experience,” Holen said. “Working this event reinstated my thoughts of working in sports business that I hope to carry with me throughout my career: Love what you do, learn as you go and make the most of every opportunity no matter how small.”

Holen is currently working towards an MBA degree at Grand Canyon University. Due to her redshirt freshman year, she has one final year of eligibility to play on GCU’s golf team. She added, “I really enjoy project management and event planning so I am looking into obtaining a PMP certification in hopes of one day working as a project manager in the sports industry.”

GCU offers a variety of opportunities for students to get involved in the campus community. Learn more by visiting our website or contacting us using the Request More Information button at the top of the page.

About Cinthia Monge
Marketing Major, Honors College

Cinthia Monge is from Chihuahua, Mexico, but has lived in sunny Phoenix for the majority of her life. She is a senior studying business with an emphasis in marketing in Grand Canyon University’s Colangelo College of Business. When she graduates, she aims to work as a marketing and public relations specialist for a news station, magazine, music company or nonprofit organization. In the meantime, Cinthia serves as a marketing and public relations lead for the Honors College at Grand Canyon University. In her spare time, she enjoys seeking and listening to new music, watching all kinds of films, going to concerts and exploring new places with family and friends.

Read more about Cinthia