Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Finding Tatum’s Purpose: Volunteering with One True Love

0

By Tatum Sorrelman
Business Management Major, Colangelo College of Business

Volunteering is something that I have always enjoyed doing. I love being able to help other people and causes by doing things that not only benefit others, but that benefit me as well.

I volunteered with a nonprofit organization called One True Love. One True Love uses a food truck to feed homeless individuals. They also provide clothing items, hygiene products and other necessities for the homeless. I volunteered with this organization with some of my friends on a Saturday. We spent the day passing out Gatorade and water. It may have been simple, but it goes to show how easy it is for someone to get involved and help someone out.

It’s great to help other people and it gives you a sense of purpose. But that feeling is not the only thing that volunteering for this cause gave me. It showed me that each and every person who was being helped was no different than myself or any of the other people who were there. I was humbled to be able to talk with everyone and learn about their lives and stories. All of this taught me that there are more important things in life than what we tend to focus on. School is important, and so is work and money, but this experience taught me that these things don’t really matter in the end. The experience was amazing.

I loved working with One True Love and I wouldn’t hesitate to get involved with them, or any other volunteer organization, if the opportunity presented itself. Remember, you were blessed to be a blessing.

Check out my experience by watching the video below:

GCU students who want to learn more about getting involved can check out the Community Outreach & Volunteering page.

About Tatum Sorrelman

Tatum Sorrelman is the oldest child in a family of five, and she enjoys every minute of it. Being the oldest has given her a lot of responsibilities and has helped form her personality. Her family is very important to her, and she enjoys spending time with them. Her culture is important to her as well; she is Navajo and she tries to learn as much about her heritage as she can. Tatum loves music; it has always been a big part of her life. She can play the flute, the tuba and a little bit of the guitar, too. She also really enjoys going to concerts and listening to music live with her friends and family. In addition, she also likes to sing and act. She has performed in numerous productions like “Footloose” and “Peter Pan,” and she has always enjoyed the excitement that it gives her to be a part of something that so many people have worked hard for.

Read more about Tatum.