Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Finding Tatum’s Purpose: Roommate Conflict

0

By Tatum Sorrelman
Business Management Major, Colangelo College of Business

Living with another person in college can be difficult. Each person is trying to establish some sort of routine while trying to adjust to a new type of lifestyle. More often than not, these routines and lifestyles do not match those of the person you are living with and that can create roommate conflict. 

I did double occupancy for my first year of school with one of my friends. But, like every roommate experience, you are bound to run into conflict no matter how close you are. That’s just what happens when you’re living in a small dorm room for months and you share a bathroom.

My roommate and I did experience conflict, as most roommates do. But, I honestly think that the conflict that we experienced made our living together better. Once we were able to get the conflict out in the open, which can be one of the hardest parts about dealing with conflict, we were able to work on the problem. It also helps that you have resident directors and resident advisors that you can talk to if you need advice on what to do in these types of situations.

I am not going to lie: Living on campus did present its challenges. And I found myself miserable on more than one occasion. But it was through that pain that I was able to grow into the person I am now. It is not easy to be going through a hard time and stick it through to the end. But, I am proud that I was able to push through the difficulties and come out stronger.

My roommate experience overall was pretty normal in my opinion. It taught me a lot about myself that I would not have learned otherwise. By going through conflict and dealing with situations that I didn’t want to deal with, I was able to grow as a person. Challenges can change you for the better. Despite the difficulty they may present, the end result is almost always worth the struggle.

Keep up with my college experiences by following my journey here on the GCU Blogs Network.

About Tatum Sorrelman

Tatum Sorrelman is the oldest child in a family of five, and she enjoys every minute of it. Being the oldest has given her a lot of responsibilities and has helped form her personality. Her family is very important to her, and she enjoys spending time with them. Her culture is important to her as well; she is Navajo and she tries to learn as much about her heritage as she can. Tatum loves music; it has always been a big part of her life. She can play the flute, the tuba and a little bit of the guitar, too. She also really enjoys going to concerts and listening to music live with her friends and family. In addition, she also likes to sing and act. She has performed in numerous productions like “Footloose” and “Peter Pan,” and she has always enjoyed the excitement that it gives her to be a part of something that so many people have worked hard for.

Read more about Tatum.