Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Finding Tatum’s Purpose: Making a Change for the New Year

0

By Tatum Sorrelman
Business Management Major, Colangelo College of Business

The new year brings changes to the lives of many people – and personally, I have gone through a change that took some courage, but made a difference in my life. Growing up, I have always had really long hair. I am Navajo and kept my hair long because it is a part of my culture. But as time passed, it meant more to me than just long hair. My hair became a part of who I was, and I would only get a trim to keep it healthy. Once my hair grew past my waist, I decided the new year was the perfect time for making a change.

I thought about going shorter for a couple of months, but went back and forth with the idea constantly. I was afraid to change a part of me that had been the same for years. After realizing this mentality, I knew it was time. I could not let my fear for change control me – and cutting my hair was going to help me overcome that fear.

The next decision to make was how short to go. I knew my hair was dry and needed at least five inches chopped. Then, I did some research on hair donation. I discovered that the minimum amount of hair that a person can donate to Locks of Love, a charity that creates wigs from donated hair, is 10 inches. I was already set on cutting five inches, so I thought I might as well cut off five more for donation and to benefit others.

I boldly went to a salon and told the hair stylist what I wanted. Since she had done numerous cuts for hair donation, she knew exactly what to do. She measured 10 inches, braided it to keep it all together and then chopped it off. My head felt so much lighter and I realized how much I had relied on my hair to hide behind. Cutting my hair gave me a newfound confidence and it was one of the best decisions I have made this year!

Sometimes, it takes a change to see things in a new way.

I’m excited to take on challenges and experience new things this year. Keep checking back for more of my GCU journey right here on the GCU Blogs Network!

About Tatum Sorrelman

Tatum Sorrelman is the oldest child in a family of five, and she enjoys every minute of it. Being the oldest has given her a lot of responsibilities and has helped form her personality. Her family is very important to her, and she enjoys spending time with them. Her culture is important to her as well; she is Navajo and she tries to learn as much about her heritage as she can. Tatum loves music; it has always been a big part of her life. She can play the flute, the tuba and a little bit of the guitar, too. She also really enjoys going to concerts and listening to music live with her friends and family. In addition, she also likes to sing and act. She has performed in numerous productions like “Footloose” and “Peter Pan,” and she has always enjoyed the excitement that it gives her to be a part of something that so many people have worked hard for.

Read more about Tatum.