Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

My Experience Working Abroad in Spain

0
Discover Spain

By Morgan Lentz
Student, Honors College

Last August, I got the amazing opportunity to attend a marketing internship seminar in Madrid, Spain with the company ROOSTERGNN. It was nothing I would ever have expected to be able to do. While there I learned so much about global marketing, ethical promotion and SEO, all while experiencing the culture of Spain in everyday life. I absolutely loved finding new places to eat tapas, getting lost in the city and visiting sights like the city of Toledo.

This experience was something I will cherish forever, mostly for what I learned about the world while I was there. I got the chance to work alongside 14 girls I had never met from around the world, including Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Lebanon, Canada, India, Australia, Puerto Rico and more. I learned a lot about my field and how to fit our work into a global network, but I learned even more about what life is like outside of America.

In my free time, my friends and I would go out on the town walking around 10 miles a day and seeing way too many attractions to remember. But what was really cool was just sitting down and connecting with women who were so different from myself, not only in country of origin but religion, cultural tradition, stage of life and more. I learned so much about the realities that others live, like one student who was from Pakistan and actually locally reported for a news station on all of the turmoil that was happening in the Middle East. It was humbling to realize that my reality is different from many of the realities of others. Even if you hear about it on the news, it’s not quite like hearing it first hand or even experiencing it.

It was also enriching to hear all of the different points of view when it came to marketing and business, seeing how some messages come across differently in varying cultures. I loved hearing and understanding how certain norms or even language translations mean vastly different things across different areas of the world. It is something I truly think that every person, especially in a communication degree program, should learn and understand. Overall, my experience in Madrid was a dream, and I hope one day I can go back and maybe not ever leave!

Grand Canyon University’s Honors College provides motivated and ambitious students with the opportunities they need to succeed at GCU and in their future careers. Learn more by visiting our website or contacting us using the Request More Information button on this page.

About Morgan Lentz
Marketing Major, Honors College

Morgan Lentz is in her first year of earning her Bachelor of Science in Marketing through the Colangelo College of Business, as well as the Honors College. Her dream job would be to work within a Chief Marketing Consultant role for a company. Morgan is also a part of the marketing team for the Honors College at GCU, where she enjoys learning real -life skills that can be applied towards her professional career. As an Arizona native, she appreciates warm weather and hiking around the valley, as well as hanging out with friends, playing intramurals, and traveling.

Read more about Morgan.