Engage with Grand Canyon University's (GCU) vibrant Spiritual Life community and take a deeper look at the various ministries that are happening around the world, in your backyard and on our campus. From weekly devotionals to Chapel highlights and features that reflect God's work in the hearts of our students, staff and faculty, each article is presented by GCU's Spiritual Life team and our special guests. We hope that God will challenge and encourage you through His words and the stories about His people that inspire us all.

What Worship Songs Are We Singing?

0
gcu chapel band guitar pedals

By Jared Ulrich
Worship Manager, Department of Spiritual Life

What worship songs are we singing ?

This is, by far, the most frequently asked question I get as a worship leader. And the minute people don’t approve of the song list for any given time of worship, I typically hear about it right away:

I don’t really like that song. I just don’t connect with it.

I just can’t worship to that song.

“That song has bad theology.

The truth is that these statements do hold some weight and can be helpful in creating a healthy and authentic worship experience.

However, most of the time, we hold our personal styles and preferences above any objective analysis. There are plenty of worship songs that I personally don’t like or enjoy singing.

But does that mean those are bad songs? Not necessarily. When it comes to our corporate times of worship, we must understand one simple truth:

Worship is not for us, but rather it is something we give to God.

If we truly understand this, then we will begin to spend less time gauging our worship times from how they make us feel and more time celebrating and glorifying the one we worship. Furthermore, the specific songs we sing and the style of music being played will become less and less of an issue to us.

Whenever I find myself in a situation where I’m involved in corporate worship, instead of being critical and focusing on how the worship time is moving me, I try to challenge myself to pour out my heart in praise to God for who He is and what He has done.

There have been plenty of times when I haven’t resonated with the style of music or the song selection, or even the quality of the music, but when I remember that it is not for me, I am freed up to fix my eyes and heart of God.

We all have preferences on music styles, theological convictions and denominational backgrounds. It is completely okay to have these preferences. It is okay not to like certain worship songs. It is alright if you don’t agree theologically with a song. It is okay if you are uncomfortable with different expressions of worship.

However, don’t believe the lie that you can only worship God if it fits your preference. That’s making worship about you.

Instead of being negative towards different expressions of worship, learn to appreciate other traditions and styles, seeking to join in with other believers in glorifying the God who created us to worship Him.

When you’re tempted to be critical, just remember: Worship is neither for us nor about us.

Worship is for God, to God and all about God.

At Grand Canyon University, we integrate faith, learning and work across all we do. To learn about GCU’s Christian identity and heritage, visit our website or request more information by using the button at the top of this page.

About Jared Ulrich
Jared Ulrich GCU
Worship Manager, Spiritual Life Department

Jared Ulrich is a pastor and worship leader who grew up in Mesa, Arizona. He earned his B.A. in Biblical Studies at Azusa Pacific University and his M.Div. at Fuller Theological Seminary. He loves playing music, reading, traveling the world and watching sports – especially football.

“Looking back and reflecting on my own journey through life, no matter what obstacles I’ve faced, I am constantly reminded of God’s incredible faithfulness.”

Read more about Jared