Engage with Grand Canyon University's (GCU) vibrant Spiritual Life community and take a deeper look at the various ministries that are happening around the world, in your backyard and on our campus. From weekly devotionals to Chapel highlights and features that reflect God's work in the hearts of our students, staff and faculty, each article is presented by GCU's Spiritual Life team and our special guests. We hope that God will challenge and encourage you through His words and the stories about His people that inspire us all.

Weekly Devotional: A Time to Heal

0
Weekly Devotional

By Josh Sugata
Faculty Training and Development Specialist, General Editor

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-4; Philippians 1:6

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance. (Ecclesiastes 3:1-4)

Whenever I think of the concept of time, I think of the book of Ecclesiastes, which contains some very profound wisdom on the subject.
Thousands of years after the book was written, The Byrds added a catchy tune to this same piece of advice and produced an international hit. I often hear this passage read at funerals or memorial services as survivors struggle to find acceptance in the loss of a loved one.

Whether it is the loss of life or even the loss of a relationship, I have never met anyone who enjoys the suffering that comes as a result.

Grand Canyon University Pastor Tim Griffin and Dr. Jason Hiles had an opportunity to sit down and discuss if time really does heal all wounds on this week’s Trending Faith. I was fascinated to hear their dialogue on a topic that humans have been discussing for thousands of years.

When we experience hardship, we may feel vulnerable, wounded and scared. Instead of waiting for time to lessen that pain, we should instead be looking to our Savior to help us find healing and inner peace.

My challenge for you, when you face hardship, is to stop asking God, “Why?”

Instead, you should be asking “What?” What does God desire for you to learn? What does God desire for you to do?

Remember, not only is God in the people business, but He has a very specific plan and purpose for your life.

He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)

Want to hear more about this topic? Check out Spiritual Life team member Chris Cunningham’s post about the concept of time. You can also comment below with your thoughts or email TrendingFaith@gcu.edu. Visit the GCU Office of Spiritual Life page to learn more about spirituality on campus at Grand Canyon University.

About Josh Sugata
Josh Sugata GCU

I met my beautiful bride through our old school district and we have two beautiful daughters together. Some would certainly argue that our daughters were our third and fourth children, considering our attachment to our two other four-legged miniature dachshunds.

Two of the best and busiest years of my family’s life occurred when we had the opportunity to move from our home to an apartment and minister the residents through day-to-day life. One of the greatest discoveries I made during our two-year stay is that I am a “Relational Evangelist,” which means I like to create relationships with others and then “earn the right” to share my personal faith with him/her.

Read more about Josh Sugata