Engage with Grand Canyon University's (GCU) vibrant Spiritual Life community and take a deeper look at the various ministries that are happening around the world, in your backyard and on our campus. From weekly devotionals to Chapel highlights and features that reflect God's work in the hearts of our students, staff and faculty, each article is presented by GCU's Spiritual Life team and our special guests. We hope that God will challenge and encourage you through His words and the stories about His people that inspire us all.

Set Aside 20 Minutes Each Day to Do This

0

By Dina Lundblom
Coordinator, GCU Strategic Educational Alliances 

“I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So, don’t be troubled or afraid.” (John 14:27)

Do you ever feel like you are treading water? Or, for every item you scratch off your to do list, it seems like two more are added? Or, maybe you just feel genuinely worn out?

I know it happens to me. I think life is just simply busy, no matter what season of life you are in. We want to be the best we can be in our classes, at work and with our families. We think of the future, and we worry about today and what’s happening this week or even this year.

Although smaller things in our life are often very important to take care of, sometimes we lose sight of what really is most important. We could even say we’re addicted to busyness. We want to schedule our schedules.

The key to it all is to have balance. I know there are some days I’m a master at this and feel like I can conquer it all, and there are other days just getting out of the house on time is like running a 10K with obstacles.

I’ve been blessed to have a specific person in my life who has shared her wisdom of her own life with me. She has encouraged, inspired and even scolded me at times to focus on what matters and not be distracted on the things that clutter my mind and soul.

When we don’t focus on what matters, distractions are what the enemy uses against us. It is important to take care of the gifts that God has given us, so when life gets crazy, we don’t fall into becoming crazy.

It is important for me to be “armed for battle,” if you will, and the way I do that is by focusing on God’s truth and what He says about me and about having balance. Believe me, I don’t always do this, but my aim is to accomplish it each and every day.

When my mind is spinning, my body is tired and I’m not spending time in God’s truth, then I’m not prepared for the day. The enemy uses these things to wear me out – mentally, physically and spiritually. But when I am meditating on the goodness of God and studying His word, when I’m exercising and getting a good amount of sleep, and when I am taking some time to rest my mind from all the cares of the world, then I feel like I can take on the challenges of the day.

It doesn’t take long to do any of these things, but even just a small 20 minutes can change your perspective to taking care of what God gave you: YOU.

My friend, who has been a mentor to me for over 20 years, once said to me, “With God, all things are possible, and prayer changes hearts and plans. As far as you losing sleep over this, I have been there more times than I want to admit to. What has helped me lately when I am so burdened is to pray about the future quickly, but then focus on today. As God tells us, we are not to worry about tomorrow, so I try with all my heart to keep my focus on today and what He wants for this very day and nothing else.”

Though she sent that to me many years ago, I have it in a place that reminds me to focus on today because God has my tomorrow.

Grand Canyon University’s Department of Spiritual Life helps students grow spiritually. For more information about GCU, visit our website or contact us using the Request More Information button at the top of the page.

More about Dina Lundblom:

Headshot_Dina (1)Dina Lundblom is the K-12 coordinator for the Strategic Educational Alliances at Grand Canyon University. The K-12 team is dedicated to providing exceptional educational events for students, parents and educators in our community for continued academic success. Dina’s role focuses on the details and planning of these events to ensure a positive and inspiring occasion at GCU. Dina worked over 22 years in a leading consumer products company with responsibilities in various sales, marketing and category management roles. After 23 years in business, Dina had the opportunity to move into the education sector by assisting the principal at a Title I school. It is there that she became intrigued and passionate about the role education plays in communities. Dina wanted to remain in the education sector, utilizing her diverse experience in business and education and working with students and educators at Grand Canyon University. Dina has seen the impact of education and how teachers, principals, youth leaders and caring adults help mold and shape kids’ lives, and she loves being part of that in some way. It makes a difference to individuals, but also to our communities, organizations, towns and cities. Dina is excited to be a part of it at GCU.