Engage with Grand Canyon University's (GCU) vibrant Spiritual Life community and take a deeper look at the various ministries that are happening around the world, in your backyard and on our campus. From weekly devotionals to Chapel highlights and features that reflect God's work in the hearts of our students, staff and faculty, each article is presented by GCU's Spiritual Life team and our special guests. We hope that God will challenge and encourage you through His words and the stories about His people that inspire us all.

Jaci Curran

Local Outreach Coordinator, Grand Canyon University Spiritual Life

In 2006, Jaci graduated from the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse with a degree in recreation management.  She is currently working on getting her master’s in Christian studies here at GCU.

Having lived in Wisconsin her whole life, Jaci was determined to find a warmer state to move to, which is what brought her to Arizona eight years ago. Outside of work, school and serving at her church, she is an avid sports fan. The Minnesota Vikings and Milwaukee Brewers are the teams Jaci holds closely to her heart. Reading also has a very high priority level in her life. Her favorite authors include Brennan Manning, Dallas Willard and CS Lewis.

Quirks: Jaci’s mind operates like a Yelp! review, especially when it comes to food. She is also one of those people who treats their pets (two dogs) like they are small humans.

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did God lead me to GCU?
God has always placed on my heart a desire to help students sift through life’s obstacles, insecurities and fears in order to ultimately point them to Jesus. Having served in youth ministry for more than 10 years, I saw a growing need to come alongside college students as they venture out on their own for the first time in their lives. The overall direction of GCU as it prepares students to enter their communities, workplaces, churches and homes coincides with the gifts I believe God has given me and the vision to restore the world around us.

What do I enjoy most in the Office of Spiritual Life?
I appreciate the high level of integrity found within my department. The old saying goes, management compliments leadership. It’s easy to come to work every day when you feel confident in the people who have authority over you. In this department, it is clear that they lead by example and it really sets the tone for the rest of the office. Great leadership is a no brainer to follow. It’s an added bonus to be surrounded by faculty, students and other staff who pursue the heart of Jesus for both themselves and those around them.

What advice do I have for students?
Be who God created YOU to be. Too often we become distracted by the successes and failures of others, all the while losing sight of the path He has each of us on. Trusting in Him means resting confidently and securely within the framework and relationships of our own paths. 1 Corinthians 10:31 reminds us that in everything, big or small, it’s about His glory and not our own. Being the person God created me to be means bringing glory to His plan for my life.