Engage with Grand Canyon University's (GCU) vibrant Spiritual Life community and take a deeper look at the various ministries that are happening around the world, in your backyard and on our campus. From weekly devotionals to Chapel highlights and features that reflect God's work in the hearts of our students, staff and faculty, each article is presented by GCU's Spiritual Life team and our special guests. We hope that God will challenge and encourage you through His words and the stories about His people that inspire us all.

Chris Cunningham

Local Outreach Coordinator, Grand Canyon University Spiritual Life

chris-cunninghamChris Cunningham is a husband, a son, a writer and lover of all things beautiful. He graduated from GCU in 2012 with a BA in Christian Studies. He’s currently working on his MA in Urban Ministry and hopes to one day find his purpose.

“I’ve been a curious person since I was a little boy and always had a sense that something much deeper was going on in the world.”

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did God lead me to GCU?
I’m somewhat of a wanderer and tend to gravitate toward people who are wrestling with what it means to be a human and how that looks in relation to God. Along my wandering and God seeking, I somehow met the most beautiful, patient woman living, Christina, who is now my wife.

We try to live a pretty simple life and spend most of our nights talking with friends, watching the Office or listening to music. Personally, I find the most energy when I’m reading (pretty much anything), writing, or having good conversations with just about anyone who’ll hear my crazy ideas.

I’m still scratching my head as I try to figure out how God has brought me to this place in life but I am thankful for what he seems to be doing. I originally came to GCU by applying for a job in ground admissions. A buddy of mine referred me for the job and so I got hired. I spent about 1 ½ years in admissions and then applied for a job in Spiritual Life. I’ve now been the Local Outreach Coordinator for about 6 months.

What do I enjoy most about my role at GCU?
I love stories so I find a lot of joy in interacting with co-workers and students and learning about who they are and what they’ve been through. I’ve come to see the importance of their stories and I think there’s a lot of value in opening ourselves up to different people’s life experiences to help us understand the bigger story that God is weaving.

How has the Gospel shaped my life?
The Gospel has helped me see my life through a much wider lens than I was ever able to do. I’ve been a curious person since I was a little boy and always had a sense that something much deeper was going on in the world. It wasn’t until I encountered Christ and the Resurrection that my heart & mind were opened to the truth of the love of God in Jesus. It’s this love, this self-sacrificing, giving, unrelenting love that compels me to strive to be something more.