Living Faith is a Christian blog that interacts with a variety of biblical, theological and practical topics written by Grand Canyon University's College of Theology faculty and specially invited guests of the college. Our content provides practical and biblical advice from a Christian worldview for living our faith in the midst of an increasingly secularized world. In addition, our content wrestles with cultural topics and issues that challenge how we live out our faith as believers. For this reason, contributors to our Christian blog strive to write with compassion and apologetic concern to honor Christ and edify the church in every way possible.

Shawn Bawulski, Ph.D.

Shawn Bawuski headshotDr. Bawulski is originally from the Chicago area but has been living in Europe (Scotland and Lithuania) for the past six years, only recently (August 2014) relocating to Phoenix.  He received an MDiv from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (2008) and a PhD in systematic theology (2012) from the University of St. Andrews (St. Andrews, Scotland).  He is married to Sara, and they have two children, Kate and Charlotte.

Faculty Spotlight

Tell us a little about yourself.
In short: I’m a Christian, husband and father, theologian, musician and a bunch of other stuff, too.  With a bit more detail: I came to Christian faith as a teenager. Sensing a drawing towards vocational ministry, I went to college to study youth ministry, only to find theology classes way more interesting. I met my wonderful wife, and we married in 2001. Then, I pursued my seminary degree, and, after that, moved to Scotland for PhD studies at St. Andrews. Both my daughters were born in bonnie, bonnie Scotland. After completing my PhD, I began teaching at a Christian liberal arts university in Lithuania, one of the only of its kind in Eastern Europe. In August 2014, my family and I landed in Phoenix (with almost everything we owned in 12 suitcases!) to begin to serve at GCU.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Theology and in my ministry?
I love presenting the ideas of the Christian faith to students of all different faith commitments (or even those with none), challenging every student to consider Christianity from different angles and perspectives.

What advice do I have for theology students?
Theology is an ecclesial discipline: While much academic theology is done in the university setting, it should always be ultimately for the church. We are doing more than examining complex and sometimes obscure ideas, issues and problems—in the end, doing theology well will result in a benefit to the Christian church. Thus, every theology student should be connected to a local church, applying what is learned in class to Christians “in the real world.”