Living Faith is a Christian blog that interacts with a variety of biblical, theological and practical topics written by Grand Canyon University's College of Theology faculty and specially invited guests of the college. Our content provides practical and biblical advice from a Christian worldview for living our faith in the midst of an increasingly secularized world. In addition, our content wrestles with cultural topics and issues that challenge how we live out our faith as believers. For this reason, contributors to our Christian blog strive to write with compassion and apologetic concern to honor Christ and edify the church in every way possible.

John Frederick, MDiv

Faculty, College of Theology

John Frederick headshot

John Frederick is an Assistant Professor and the Worship Arts Coordinator in the College of Theology at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Arizona. Prior to his arrival in Phoenix, he was an adjunct professor of New Testament at the Boston Campus of Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary, and from 2011-2013 he was a lecturer of New Testament Greek at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. John is an editor of the book, “Galatians and Christian Theology” (Baker Academic, 2014) which he edited with N.T. Wright, Scott Hafemann and Mark Elliott. He is also a contributor and editor of the forthcoming book, “Ecclesia and Ethics: Moral Formation and the Church” (T&T Clark, forthcoming 2015). Prior to his move to Scotland, he was a full-time musician, touring, teaching and writing original music, and leading worship at churches. During 2013-2014 he was Worship Leader at Park Street Church in Boston. John is ordained as a presbyter in Anglican Church in North America and lives in Phoenix with his wife Tara and their one-year-old son, Liam.

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did God lead me here?
I am father, husband, teacher, researcher and pastor. Above all I am a person who is captivated by the grace of God in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God led me to GCU after a long period of engagement in full-time music performance and teaching, and then a subsequent period of intense academic research. The role of teaching theology and worship at GCU weaves these elements and worlds together for me in a way that is positively engaging and cohesive.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Theology and in my ministry?
I really enjoy teaching, interacting with students and colleagues, and pouring into a culture of cruciform worship through my role as Worship Coordinator.

What advice do I have for theology students?
Be extremely diligent in both the pursuit of the study of God with the mind and the life of discipleship in Christ. Establish daily prayer patterns which will serve as a constant anchor for your soul, rooted in the Word, centered on God the Father and on the Cross and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit. In the words of Eugene Peterson, view your walk with Christ and your study of the Word as “long obedience in the same direction.” This is obedience is never legalistic but is instead freeing in that it is entirely dependent upon, sustained by and directed toward the triune God for His glory and for your joy in Him.