Living Faith is a Christian blog that interacts with a variety of biblical, theological and practical topics written by Grand Canyon University's College of Theology faculty and specially invited guests of the college. Our content provides practical and biblical advice from a Christian worldview for living our faith in the midst of an increasingly secularized world. In addition, our content wrestles with cultural topics and issues that challenge how we live out our faith as believers. For this reason, contributors to our Christian blog strive to write with compassion and apologetic concern to honor Christ and edify the church in every way possible.

Joe Stanley, M.Div.

Faculty, College of Theology

joe-stanleyJoe Stanley is a proud Texan from San Antonio. He has 25 years of experience in small church pastoral ministry. He has a degree in Christian Education, a Master of Arts in Theological Studies, a Master of Divinity and is currently working on his Doctor of Ministry. He and his wife Glenda have 2 children and 1 grandchild.

“After God confirmed my calling to ministry in various ways I decided to surrender to God’s will and enter the ministry… Little did I know that I would not stop at just a Bachelor’s degree, but I would also earn two Master’s degrees and I am now working to complete a Doctor of Ministry.”

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did God lead me here?
My parents are both from Kentucky and they made their way to Louisville Kentucky during WW2 to look for work since there were a lot of jobs available there. They later met, got married and had two sons. I grew up in the Louisville area, and since my parents were serious about their Christianity I also grew up in church.

Even though I grew up in church, I never accepted Jesus into my life while I was still at home. When I was 17 I joined the Air Force because I was hoping to avoid the infantry and service in Vietnam. While in the Air Force I was stationed in San Antonio and met a local girl at church the night that I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I now consider San Antonio as home and I have now been married over 40 years.

I felt the call of God on my life to enter the ministry after I was married with two small children. Since I feel strongly that ministers should be called of God I spent much time in prayer and seeking God to confirm this calling.

After God confirmed my calling to ministry in various ways I decided to surrender to God’s will and enter the ministry. Since I knew that I needed training and education to be effective in ministry I decided to go to school and earn a degree. Little did I know that I would not stop at just a Bachelor’s degree, but I would also earn two Master’s degrees and I am now working to complete a Doctor of Ministry.

While going to school and raising a family I worked in small church ministry as a bi-vocational pastor. I have about 25 years of small church ministry.

What is my role within the College of Theology?
I am one of the online full-time faculty in the College of Theology. The courses that I teach are Christian Worldview, New Testament Historical Perspectives and Spirituality in Health Care.

What advice do I have for my theology students?

I would remind them that everyone deals with theology since theology is the study of God’s Word. The only question is how well do you handle theology? I would also remind them of what the Apostle Paul told Timothy. “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15, ESV),