Living Faith is a Christian blog that interacts with a variety of biblical, theological and practical topics written by Grand Canyon University's College of Theology faculty and specially invited guests of the college. Our content provides practical and biblical advice from a Christian worldview for living our faith in the midst of an increasingly secularized world. In addition, our content wrestles with cultural topics and issues that challenge how we live out our faith as believers. For this reason, contributors to our Christian blog strive to write with compassion and apologetic concern to honor Christ and edify the church in every way possible.

Daniel Diffey, PhD

Assistant Dean, Grand Canyon Theological Seminary

Daniel Diffey headshotDr. Diffey serves as an assistant professor of the Old Testament within the College of Theology at GCU. He earned a BA in history, an MDiv in Christian ministry and a PhD in the Old Testament before becoming a professor. His interests are in the Old Testament and biblical theology. He is married to Anne and has three children.

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did God lead me here?
I grew up as an unbeliever and was saved at the age of 18. When I was saved I read the Bible every opportunity that I got. I soon realized that I could not be truly satisfied with doing anything other than teaching the Word of God. So I went to college, seminary and did Ph.D. work so that I could have the awesome privilege of teaching the Bible. I came to GCU to be able to fulfill this calling in my life.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Theology and in my ministry?
I would say that I most enjoy helping people to read, understand and live the message of the Bible. One of the great tragedies of our day is biblical illiteracy. People just do not read the Bible like they should.  It is great to help students to become faithful readers of the Bible.

I also enjoy working with the other faculty in the College of Theology. It is great that while we come from varying Christian traditions, we are able to find unity in the essentials of Christianity and the Gospel.

What advice do I have for theology students?
First, it is crucial that we all read and live the message of the Bible. When you read the Bible, do not do so for simply a head-knowledge so that you can show off.  Instead, humbly try to be transformed by God’s word to His people. When we read the Bible we need to submit to who God is and how He has revealed himself. We need to worship God for who He is and not for whom we may want Him to be.

Second, it is important for you to be active in your local church. If your end goal is to be doing ministry, then you need to be doing ministry right now.