Living Faith is a Christian blog that interacts with a variety of biblical, theological and practical topics written by Grand Canyon University's College of Theology faculty and specially invited guests of the college. Our content provides practical and biblical advice from a Christian worldview for living our faith in the midst of an increasingly secularized world. In addition, our content wrestles with cultural topics and issues that challenge how we live out our faith as believers. For this reason, contributors to our Christian blog strive to write with compassion and apologetic concern to honor Christ and edify the church in every way possible.

Chip Lamca, MDiv

chip.lamcaChip Lamca is originally from Pennsylvania and has been in the Phoenix area since 2008. He earned a Master of Divinity with Biblical Languages from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, North Carolina and is working on a DMin in Missions at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He and his family served as missionaries in Peru and Ecuador from 2000 to 2008 and continue the work during summers, along with Grand Canyon University students. His wife, Julie, is a student in the College of Theology; two of their sons work part-time for GCU; a daughter is a student in the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions and their youngest son hopes to attend GCU next year, following high school.

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did God lead me here?
I love what I do. I spent years as a missionary, sharing Christ, planting churches, helping communities and more things than I can name. In this stage of my life, I get to challenge a new generation to take up some of those goals and then I get to take them to a place where God is doing amazing things.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Theology and in my ministry?
I have a map on my wall that shows the nations of the world. The missionary part of me hears “make disciples of all nations,” but as an instructor at GCU, the nations come to me! I am able to share my passion for the Christian worldview with students from all parts of the world and to present a faith that is based on the one true God who loves us and provides reconciliation to a world that so desperately needs him.

What advice do I have for theology students?
Finish. You do not need to finish quickly, nor take forever, but finish your degree. Ministry has an element of urgency and I have known many theology students who really believed that they needed to break off the learning and get about the doing. While some of those went on to have success in life and ministry, they are the exception and not the rule. I see in scripture that there is a pattern of people who were called by God and who for an extended period were set apart for preparation.