Living Faith is a Christian blog that interacts with a variety of biblical, theological and practical topics written by Grand Canyon University's College of Theology faculty and specially invited guests of the college. Our content provides practical and biblical advice from a Christian worldview for living our faith in the midst of an increasingly secularized world. In addition, our content wrestles with cultural topics and issues that challenge how we live out our faith as believers. For this reason, contributors to our Christian blog strive to write with compassion and apologetic concern to honor Christ and edify the church in every way possible.

Bob Greene, MDiv

Faculty, College of Theology

Bob Greene headshotBob Greene served in pastoral ministry in California and Arizona for 14 years, and completed a BA in Christian studies and an MA in theological studies, before joining the faculty at Grand Canyon University. Bob loves preaching and teaching, worship, surfing and hanging out with his three children: Justice, Micah and Dixie (the family Jack Russell Terrier).

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did God lead me here?

As far back as I can remember, my family attended church on a regular basis, and I attended services just like everyone else. As I grew older, I began to realize that just sitting in church wasn’t enough. No amount of Christian music, Christian camp experiences or time spent in church services was filling me up.

In 1993, I got a wake-up call from the Lord. I was 17 years-old, living a worldly, ungodly lifestyle. That’s when Jesus showed me that there was more to life than just claiming to be a Christian – it was personal. God never asked for a fake “religious” exterior; He wanted relationship through His son. The Holy Spirit regenerated me in a very specific time, when the chips were down and I had nowhere else to turn. I’ve found that God is always there when I need Him, not when He needs me. I never really understood this until my junior year of high school.

I accepted Christ on Nov. 20, 1993 in the office of my youth pastor at Calvary Chapel in Fallbrook, CA. When I got home that evening, I knelt next to my bed and prayed to God and told Him how sorry I was for the life I had been living and that from that day forward I would go anywhere and do anything He asked me to do.

What do I enjoy most in my ministry?

My greatest passion is to proclaim the hero’s story to all who will listen. Through the use of my real life experiences, humor and media, the passion of my heart is to bring God’s word to life. Most important to my teaching ministry is that it is Gospel-centered. Jesus Christ is truly my Hero, my Savior, my Lord, and He is the sole motivation to proclaim the greatest story ever told.  In order to do this, a person needs creative arts skills, and mine include:

Worship – guitar, vocals, song writing and composition (including recording and producing four song demo album)

Design – creating and designing custom websites (via Mac), blogs, audio podcasts and Keynote/PowerPoint presentations

Part of Jesus’ ministry was training effective leaders who intentionally trained other effective leaders. Discipleship is a major part of my ministry calling. Developing, training and equipping qualified people for Gospel ministry is a passion that burns deep inside my heart.

The culture around us is changing rapidly. How do I think the church should respond?

Bringing the Gospel to life through music, video, graphic arts, sets, lighting and sound is a huge part of culturally relevant ministry. It’s taking the Gospel message and trying to dream up as many ways as possible to bring that message to life.