The College of Science, Engineering and Technology offers degree programs that prepare students for high-demand professions in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields. With an emphasis on Grand Canyon University’s Christian worldview, our college believes in instilling social awareness, responsibility, ethical character and compassion. Our blog, BrainSTEM, focuses on topics related to science, engineering and technology, with engaging contributions from students, staff and faculty. On the blog, you can find helpful resources relating to STEM fields and learn more about current events occurring globally, locally and within GCU. We hope to provide our readers with information that helps them learn about the necessary knowledge, skills and mental disciplines to succeed in today’s job market.

Ilse Kremer, M.A., M.S.

Faculty & Blog Managing Editor

Ilse Kremer headshotIlse Kremer graduated with a biology degree from Arizona State University in 2000 and subsequently earned a Master of Arts degree in education and a Master of Science degree in biology from the University of Nebraska. Combining her love of science and passion for teaching, she has strived to create interesting, engaging lessons for anatomy students for over 12 years. She is currently working on a Doctor of Health Science degree from A.T. Still University. Born and raised in Belgium, she has a personal dedication to immigrant students and those coming from disadvantaged backgrounds, and she works to implement intervention strategies that enhance college success for all students, regardless of their prior academic history. She has been married for 18 years and has three energetic children that keep her plenty busy. In her spare time, she likes to swim (and occasionally coaches swimming), ice skate, go out to dinner and read.

Faculty Spotlight Questions:

Who am I and how did I get to GCU?

I started out teaching AP and IB Biology at the secondary level and eventually switched to teaching college in 2006. I came to GCU as an adjunct while I was concurrently teaching classes at the Maricopa community colleges in 2011. I have since transitioned to working for the university full time. I mainly teach anatomy and physiology labs in the College of Science, Engineering and Technology, but I do pick up an occasional lecture. My passion is teaching labs because it allows me to make the lessons fun, dynamic, interactive and hands-on.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Science, Engineering and Technology?

I thoroughly enjoy the students, my colleagues and teaching itself, all of which are amazing. GCU is a place unlike any other, where students and faculty strive to help each other be successful. Students here are very respectful, and there is a palpable energy and reverence for learning that permeates the campus. The interaction between students and faculty is mutually respectful and personal. There is an amazing level of support from faculty to students and to one another which trickles down to student achievement in very positive ways.

What advice do I have for CSET students?

Ninety percent of success is showing up! Whatever your God-given talents are, you must apply yourself in order to be successful. If you set clear goals, organize yourself, budget your time and know your strengths, weaknesses and how to study accordingly, you will no doubt be successful. Don’t compare yourself to others around you; you are a unique person with unique abilities who will walk your own unique path. Decide on the way you want to conduct yourself in this world and what you want your life and work to stand for and represent. Then, act according to that vision.