The College of Nursing and Health Care Professions is comprised of diverse health care disciplines, including nursing, health care administration, athletic training, public health and health care informatics. We are united by the common goal of training the next generation of health care professionals and leaders to effectively address health care challenges. The content of this blog includes perspectives on current health care topics, discussion about health care trends, a showcase of successful alumni and faculty and posts about our passion for our respective fields.

Lanie Kosik, RN, MSN

Assistant Professor, College of Nursing and Health Care Professions

Lanie Kosik headshotLanie Kosik was born and raised in a tiny coal mine town of Archbald, PA. Her career started in the early 1970’s as a certified nursing assistant (CNA). She moved on and became an emergency medical technician (EMT). She worked both volunteer for her hometown and paid ambulance and rescue for 15 years. Lanie next became a licensed practical nurse (LPN) and worked for 12 years in geriatrics. She continued her education and obtained her associate degree, registered nurse. She began working on her BSN after she moved to Arizona in 2000. In 2011, Lanie received her master’s degree in nursing education and began her career at Grand Canyon University. As you may have guessed, Lanie loves being a nurse! Her goal is to instill the desire to be the very best nurse possible and for each student to reach as far as they desire in the profession.

Faculty Spotlight Questions:

Who am I and how did I get to GCU?

I am a nurse who loves nursing, loves to teach nursing and loves to share nursing knowledge and experiences with students who are starting the journey into the wonderful world of nursing. I want them to have the same love and wonder I have had for over 30 years. I still love what I do.

How did I get here? A very good friend and mentor suggested that I apply after I received my degree. I loved the fact that GCU is Christen-based. GCU has a wonderful reputation in the Valley, and I am proud to be a part of this university.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Nursing and Health Care Professionals?

I enjoy working with such wonderful nurses who have the same values and goals as I have. I enjoy students learning and growing right before our eyes, and I enjoy being part of a tight community working toward the goal of educating the best nurses in the Valley.

What advice do I have for nursing and health care students?

Put one foot in front of the other, and focus on your end goal of becoming the very best nurse you can be. Listen and learn all you can from each class and instructor. Remember, we as instructors are here to give you the best start in your career as possible. Let us guide you during this portion of your journey.