The College of Nursing and Health Care Professions is comprised of diverse health care disciplines, including nursing, health care administration, athletic training, public health and health care informatics. We are united by the common goal of training the next generation of health care professionals and leaders to effectively address health care challenges. The content of this blog includes perspectives on current health care topics, discussion about health care trends, a showcase of successful alumni and faculty and posts about our passion for our respective fields.

Jennifer Billingsley, FNP-BC, MSN, RN

Assistant Professor, College of Nursing and Health Care Professions 

Jennifer.Billingsley.002Jennifer has been teaching full time at Grand Canyon University in the family nurse practitioner program for more than three years. She enjoys watching graduate students progress through the program to gain confidence, critical thinking skills and clinical competence. She is also a dedicated patient advocate that has been practicing in the nursing field since 1997. Jennifer currently cares for patients with chronic disease in their homes as their primary care provider.  She is also pursuing her Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) from GCU, with anticipated graduation in 2016.

Faculty Spotlight Questions:

Who am I and how did I get to GCU?

I value faith, love, dedication and perseverance. I do not believe life should be comfortable or stagnant, which makes me always in pursuit of a new challenge. After teaching at GCU as adjunct faculty for a few years, I found that GCU’s mission matched my values. The uniqueness of openly praying with students, before meetings and for colleagues, encouraged me to pursue a full-time position at GCU. I enjoy being part of a university that wants to grow to meet the needs of our community.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions?

The most enjoyable component to working in the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions is being part of an amazing team that places God and students first  We strive to give the best education to our graduate students to prepare them for a nursing career that has endless opportunities. I value mentoring students and encouraging them to pursue their goals.

What advice do I have for nursing students?

Stay strong through a rigorous program because there are so many rewards and opportunities in the nursing profession. Communicate with your faculty for any unanswered questions or pearls of wisdom. And finally, seek out mentors and network with professionals in the specific field you are interested in.