As the title of our blog suggests, these posts by College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) faculty and special guests will engage, inform and challenge you in a myriad of ways. The posts reflect the diversity of our programs of study: degrees that are traditional (history), current (justice studies and communications), academic (English literature) and career-oriented (psychology, counseling, criminal justice and government). Here, there is something for everyone.

Filippo Posta, Ph.D.

Posta_Blog_ScreenshotFilippo Posta comes from a little village near Siena, Tuscany in Italy. He always dreamed of playing professional soccer and going to America. The soccer thing did not pan out despite making as much as a half-million per week…in Italian liras (about $20 USD). Dr. Posta’s passion for teaching and doing research in math landed him a scholarship to study at NJIT. After graduating, he switched coasts and ended up at GCU (via UCLA). What a blessing! He and his wife, Emily, are truly happy living in Scottsdale, AZ, and they have found a very supportive environment for their kids, Nicolas and Oliver. He looks forward to their future in the Valley since Nico wants to be Thunder when he grows up.

Faculty Spotlight Questions:

Who am I and how did I get to GCU?

I come from a little village near Siena, Tuscany in Italy. My passion for teaching and doing research in math landed me a scholarship to study at NJIT in Newark, NJ. I loved the school, but I did not leave Tuscany to live in Jersey. Manhattan, here I come! I was blessed to find an apartment in the East Village and made a lot of friends through soccer. I even met my wife, Emily, when our soccer club organized a philanthropic event at the Bowery Mission.

After graduating, I got a job at UCLA and got married, first in Las Vegas (before the INS and “Elvis Presley”) and then in Tuscany (before God and family). While I was at UCLA, we had our first child and soon realized that we needed a family-friendly place to raise kids. We picked Scottsdale, AZ! We packed our bags and drove our car to Arizona.

We are truly happy living in Scottsdale; we found a very supportive environment for Nicolas, and we had our second child in April 2013. Both kids and our family are growing strong and happy, and we could not ask for more.

After two years working in the industry (and teaching as adjunct at Glendale Community College), I was lucky enough to get a position at GCU teaching math. This is truly my passion, and it is my goal to provide a successful learning environment for all my students.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences? 

I have studied and worked at many different institutions and only at GCU’s CHSS have I met a faculty body that is truly dedicated to their pedagogical craft. It is an extremely stimulating environment where I am put in the best position to develop my pedagogical ideas, discuss them with my peers and, most of all, apply them knowing that I have the full support of my colleagues. I am a restless soul that always hopes to improve and having this support makes my 45-minute commute much faster.

What advice do I have for math students?

Math is a fickle subject; long study hours can lead to poor results and lectures can be tough to follow. I like to advise my students to not cheat themselves by skipping class or procrastinating with the coursework. Lectures are structured to provide the mathematical and logistical tools to succeed in the course.  At the end of each lecture, a student knows if the material was understood or not. In either case, it is pivotal to seek extra help or keep practicing. It does not have to be hours of tutoring or problem-solving, but a little bit every day will do. Saving mathematical coursework for the weekend is a recipe for disaster.