As the title of our blog suggests, these posts by College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) faculty and special guests will engage, inform and challenge you in a myriad of ways. The posts reflect the diversity of our programs of study: degrees that are traditional (history), current (justice studies and communications), academic (English literature) and career-oriented (psychology, counseling, criminal justice and government). Here, there is something for everyone.

Diane Goodman, Ph.D.

Diane Goodman headshotBorn and raised in Cleveland, OH, Diane Goodman lived in Miami Beach for 15 years before relocating to Phoenix in August 2012. She became an associate professor of English at Grand Canyon University in January 2015. Dr. Goodman has a Ph.D. in English from Case Western Reserve University, a master’s in English from the University of Delaware, a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing from Antioch University and a Bachelor of Arts in science writing from Denison University. Diane’s publications include three collections of short stories (“Party Girls,” Autumn House Press, 2011; “The Plated Heart,” Carnegie Mellon Press, 2006; “The Genius of Hunger,” Carnegie Mellon Press, 2001) as well as various poems, non-fiction essays and articles in national magazines.

Who am I and how did I get to GCU? 

I relocated to Phoenix from Miami Beach, where I taught part-time at the University of Miami and owned a boutique catering/personal chef business. The exciting things happening at GCU convinced me that I wanted to return to academics full-time. I was an adjunct instructor last semester; I taught English 105, British Literature II and American Literature II. I began my full-time appointment as an associate professor in the English Department this past January.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences? 

The intelligence, generosity, sense of humor and dedication of my colleagues.  It is inspiring to work with such incredible people. I feel lucky and blessed to be here. 

What advice do I have for GCU students? 

Live in the moment. College goes by so quickly, so don’t wish your time away. Take advantage of all GCU has to offer you—academically, spiritually, socially. No matter what plans you have for your future, enjoy this special time in your life.