Join us on Teaching in Purple to find your purpose and passion in the field of education. Discover inspirational stories from future teachers, faculty, staff and alumni from Grand Canyon University. Peek inside the classrooms of today to shape your classroom of tomorrow. You will look great in purple!

Katie Martin, M.F.A.

Field Experience Specialist, College of Education

Katie Martin HeadshotKatie graduated from Grand Canyon University with a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education in 2011. After graduation, she knew she wanted to pursue a lifelong passion for writing. She earned her Master of Fine Arts in Writing from Pacific University Oregon in June 2014. She currently serves in the GCU College of Education as a field experience specialist and is working on her first book. In her spare time, she enjoys running, reading and planning trips to Disney World.

In addition to contributing to the blog, Katie also serves on Teaching in Purple’s editorial board.

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did I get to GCU? 

I started my undergraduate degree with Grand Canyon University in fall 2007, when the campus was almost unrecognizable compared to what it is now. I remember touring the campus in the middle of August with my parents and listening to the tour guide talk about all of the amazing changes that would be coming to the school. I was incredibly hot, most of the landscaping was dirt and there were maybe 50 people on campus total. But I could tell that the vision was there and that the leadership had big dreams for creating the GCU I get to enjoy now as an employee. I feel so blessed that I have gotten to stick around and see the changes, and I know that there are even more to come!

What do I enjoy most in the College of Education? 

I most enjoy working with a group of people who are so passionate about continuous improvement. Everyone wants to prepare our students to be the best teachers they can possibly be, and we’re always looking for ways to make the program even better. It’s a wonderful environment.

What advice do I have for College of Education students? 

Treat children the way you would have wanted to be taught.