Join us on Teaching in Purple to find your purpose and passion in the field of education. Discover inspirational stories from future teachers, faculty, staff and alumni from Grand Canyon University. Peek inside the classrooms of today to shape your classroom of tomorrow. You will look great in purple!

Bethany Wilson

College of Education Student, Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (Emphasis in English)

Bethany Wilson is earning her Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (Emphasis in English), and she is excited to one day have her own classroom of second or third graders. She is a transfer student from the beautiful state of Colorado and has thoroughly enjoyed her first year at Grand Canyon University. Bethany serves as the secretary for Educators Rising of GCU and has enjoyed co-leading club meetings, volunteering at fundraisers and even traveling down to Tucson to serve as a judge at the Future Educators Association State Conference. Bethany has recently been inducted into the College of Education’s International Honor Society, Kappa Delta Pi, where she will be serving as president during the 2015-16 academic year. When Bethany is not learning about teaching strategies or creating engaging lesson plans, she can be found skiing the slopes of the Colorado mountains, hanging out with friends or relaxing by the pool under the Arizona sun.

Who am I and how did I get to GCU? 

I feel very privileged to be a student here at GCU. All of the instructors I have met are top-notch, and I have been so blessed to learn from them. Last August, I transferred to GCU from Colorado, where I was born and raised. While I certainly love Colorado, I am a warm-weather girl and Arizona has been a delightful experience.

What do I enjoy most in the College of Education? 

I have truly enjoyed all of the amazing opportunities I have been given at the College of Education. Since I am on the leadership team for the education club and Kappa Delta Pi, I have been able to plan fundraisers, attend club meetings and create ways for students to get involved on campus and in the community. In addition to opening up the doors of opportunity to me, the College of Education has introduced me to some of the greatest professors I have ever had and given me a whole new appreciation for the diverse field of education.

What advice do I have for College of Education students?

I would advise and encourage students in the College of Education to get involved with events and clubs on campus that help promote what they believe in. I would also advise students to begin networking with professors and professionals in the field in order to foster relationships that will have an impact on their future success. I believe that the College of Education at GCU does a wonderful job of promoting exciting opportunities for college students to make a difference in their own lives, as well as in the lives of future students and the community.