BusinessBuzz is a business blog that features content written by faculty, staff and students from Grand Canyon University’s Colangelo College of Business. In addition to profiles about events, students and faculty on campus, you’ll also find great resources for online students or anyone interested in attending business school. Learn about the modern business landscape, and how business today continues to grow and evolve to meet the needs of organizations and consumers in the 21st century. Check in every week for the latest news from the business community and around GCU.

Kevin McClean, DPS

Kevin McClean headshotDr. R. Kevin McClean, professor of marketing at Grand Canyon University’s (GCU) Colangelo College of Business, is in his 14th year of teaching at GCU. Dr. McClean teaches at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and he served as dean of the College of Business at GCU from 2012 to 2014.

Dr. McClean has presented to industry forums and conferences regarding energy deregulation, marketing management, project management and customer service, and was a contributor to an award-winning compendium on leadership challenges. He is the founder and editor-in-chief of the “Canyon Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies,” and sponsors annual academic symposia and research colloquia. He was conferred a BA in History by King’s College; an MBA by St. John’s University; and a Doctor of Professional Studies by Pace University. He has been inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma, honor society of collegiate schools of business; Omicron Delta Epsilon, international honor society in economics; and Delta Mu Delta, international honor society for business.

Faculty Spotlight Questions

Who am I and how did I get to GCU?

My undergraduate studies prepared me to be a high school history teacher. After graduation, I served in the U.S. Army where I attained the rank of first lieutenant. As an officer, I realized that I enjoyed the responsibility and decision-making of management, and after my discharge, I sought a position in business. Con Edison of New York hired me, and within a few years, I was heading the company’s retail customer service for Manhattan. However, I had returned to school for an MBA with a concentration in accounting/controllership and soon moved to the financial controls area of Con Ed. I became a division controller, preparing me for my next responsibility, which involved business planning, financial controls and performance analysis for Con Ed’s distribution company. In the late 1990’s, I was assigned as project manager for a team that was charged with helping the company and its customers transition to a deregulated energy marketplace. In that role I provided coordination to the various company elements involved, served as a cost expert in dealings with regulators and directed the project’s market research and communications efforts.

My wife and I decided to retire at the end of 2001 to our vacation home here in Phoenix. At about that time, I completed my doctoral studies and sought out a teaching position. The good Lord presented an opportunity at Grand Canyon University, and I was fortunate to be chosen by GCU to teach marketing.

What do I enjoy most in the Colangelo College of Business? 

I enjoy being involved in university activities, especially teaching, but also in helping to improve operations as a member of various committees and rooting for our athletes in basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, soccer – all of the sports teams. Since I started at GCU, I have been impressed with our students. They are smart, motivated, respectful – simply a pleasure to be around. I like to think that their company keeps me young, although I do have to pay attention to keep up with technology and social media.

What advice do I have for business students?

I have three things that I would like to share:

1. You have been afforded a great education and are among the privileged few (less than 7 percent of the world’s population) with a college degree. Use it – to better yourself, your family and your community.
  2. You will face career decisions, and in making those decisions, all variables will fall into one of three questions: Will this opportunity provide for career advancement/achievement of career goals? Is there financial remuneration commensurate with the responsibilities of the position? How does this affect my quality of life? At different points in one’s life, the order of priority of those questions may shift, but each must be considered.
  3. Finally, be prepared to speak your mind and be true to your values. GCU has provided instruction that emphasizes values, ethics, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making. I like a quote attributed to Coach John Wooden of UCLA basketball fame: “There is no softer pillow than a clear conscience.”