BusinessBuzz is a business blog that features content written by faculty, staff and students from Grand Canyon University’s Colangelo College of Business. In addition to profiles about events, students and faculty on campus, you’ll also find great resources for online students or anyone interested in attending business school. Learn about the modern business landscape, and how business today continues to grow and evolve to meet the needs of organizations and consumers in the 21st century. Check in every week for the latest news from the business community and around GCU.

Kelly K. Damron, CPA, MBA

Kelly DamronKelly K. Damron, CPA, MBA, is an assistant professor of accounting at Grand Canyon University. She was the recipient of the Public Service Award from the Arizona Society of CPAs in 2010. Kelly teaches introductory financial accounting, managerial accounting and advanced level accounting courses. Kelly utilizes games and other practical activities in the classroom to help students understand the topic and connect it to real-world situations. She holds a Bachelor of Science in accounting from Colorado State University and a Master of Business Administration from the W. P. Carey School of Business. She is the co-faculty advisor for the Collegiate DECA of GCU chapter.

Faculty Spotlight 

Who am I and how did I get to GCU?

I started teaching in 2001 part-time at another institution and fell in love with teaching. A friend of mine recommended applying to GCU as online adjunct faculty to expand my overall teaching acumen. I truly believe we all have a purpose and thankfully sometimes our purpose and passion align, which is what happened to me with a full-time faculty position at GCU. I love guiding students to understand how they can use accounting in their personal and professional careers.

What do I enjoy most in the Colangelo College of Business?

The thing I enjoy the most about the Colangelo College of Business is the students. The students at GCU are motivated to learn and since many of them attend the university due to their Christian faith, there is a positive atmosphere in the classroom and around campus. The employees at GCU enjoy their jobs, and everyone wants to help the students as well as each other. Additionally, I enjoy mentoring students in my role as a faculty advisor and share in the joy of their success.

What advice do I have for business students? 

Enjoy the journey, but remember your purpose. Take part in all of the different activities and clubs on campus, such as sporting events, Movie on the Lawn and the clubs offered by the Colangelo College of Business. Even though your main goal is to get a degree so that you can start your career, it is the people you meet along that way that help define who you are and who you will become. Your classmates, club members, friends and faculty will be lifelong resources for you!