BusinessBuzz is a business blog that features content written by faculty, staff and students from Grand Canyon University’s Colangelo College of Business. In addition to profiles about events, students and faculty on campus, you’ll also find great resources for online students or anyone interested in attending business school. Learn about the modern business landscape, and how business today continues to grow and evolve to meet the needs of organizations and consumers in the 21st century. Check in every week for the latest news from the business community and around GCU.

Ernie Scarbrough, DBA

Ernie Scarbrough headshotErnie Scarbrough, DBA, has been a professional pilot, cost analyst, transportation analyst, air traffic controller, copper miner, sailor, securities representative, portfolio manager, certified financial planner, certified investment management analyst and a university finance professor. His nonprofit experience includes: American Cancer Society, Sojourner Center (a domestic violence crisis shelter) and John C. Lincoln’s Desert Mission Board (food bank, etc.). He is also a member of Phoenix Police Department’s Administrative Review and Use of Force Board.

Dr. Scarbrough continues to be an active investor (as natural as breathing). He has been teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate level since 1996 (University of Phoenix, Keller Graduate School, Arizona State University and Thunderbird School of Global Management).

He and his wife are approaching their 43rd anniversary. Cindy is a programs manager and systems analyst for a major hospital system. They have two sons and four grandsons. They both have extensive interests outside of their professions.

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did I get to GCU?

Except for a couple of brief periods, Phoenix has been my home since 1966, when the US Air Force transferred me to Luke Air Force Base. After almost 30 years, I retired from the securities industry in 2008 and accepted a professor position with Grand Canyon University.

What do I enjoy most in the Colangelo College of Business?

I enjoy working with the students and stimulating their interest and understanding of business and finance.

What advice do I have for business students?

Learning never ends. You are a constant student. You are the CEO and CFO of You, Inc. for the rest of your life.