BusinessBuzz is a business blog that features content written by faculty, staff and students from Grand Canyon University’s Colangelo College of Business. In addition to profiles about events, students and faculty on campus, you’ll also find great resources for online students or anyone interested in attending business school. Learn about the modern business landscape, and how business today continues to grow and evolve to meet the needs of organizations and consumers in the 21st century. Check in every week for the latest news from the business community and around GCU.

Donna L. DeMilia, Ph.D., CPA, CMA

Donna DeMilia-Head ShotDonna DeMilia, PhD, is a dedicated accounting educator with over 20 years of experience in the classroom. She is able to bring her background in both public and private accounting to the classroom, and enjoys helping students to understand complex accounting situations through connecting them to real-life scenarios.

Dr. DeMilia serves as the faculty advisor for the GCU Institute of Management Accountants Student Chapter (IMASC) and is committed to mentoring the future accounting and financial professionals that participate in this club. She also serves the accounting community through her roles as the scholarship director of the IMA Valley of the Sun Chapter, a scholarship selection committee member for the Arizona Society of CPAs, an editorial advisory board member of Strategic Finance magazine and a volunteer tax preparer through the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

Faculty Spotlight

Who am I and how did I get to GCU? 

How did I get to GCU? I followed God’s lead! Throughout my career as an educator, I have always wanted to be able to share my faith in the classroom. Here at Grand Canyon University, I am freely able to express my dedication to the Lord and for that I am truly grateful! Nearly 15 years ago, I realized that I did not like the cold New York winters and “took a chance” by coming to Arizona. I know now that this is exactly where I am supposed to be and love the beautiful year-round sunshine that we experience here in the desert.

What do I enjoy most in the Colangelo College of Business? 

I love helping students move closer to finding their purpose. I do this in the classroom, but I feel that I make the most impact through my role as the faculty advisor for the IMASC. I find that the Colangelo College of Business provides many opportunities for students to “go beyond the classroom” through club activities, featured speakers and other special events. It is my pleasure to work with students as they explore different aspects of accounting and business and help guide them toward their personal dreams.

What advice do I have for Business students?

Explore your options! There are so many pathways to success in the business world, so learn as much as you can while you are in school so that you can choose the career that will be the best fit for you. Take advantage of the many opportunities that are provided here at the university and within the Colangelo College of Business. Connect with your peers, meet local professionals, develop a network of contacts and start to make lifelong relationships that will benefit you throughout your career. Be bold and try new things.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John 14:27).