Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Why I Transferred to Grand Canyon University

0
GCU students on the Promenade

By Jessica Meyer
Marketing Major, Colangelo College of Business

Before I attended Grand Canyon University, I attended a community college in Tucson, Arizona. Like many community college students, I became overwhelmed when I had to decide which university would be the best fit for me.

To this day, I’m extremely proud of my decision to transfer colleges to GCU, and here’s why.

Campus Community

As I walked into my community college’s library to study for my winter finals, I saw a man in a purple shirt sitting at a booth labeled “Grand Canyon University.” I stopped, and I realized that I hadn’t considered GCU since I was a senior in high school. I had toured the school in 2012, and I decided against it since I thought the campus was too small.

However, I had heard that the campus was growing every year, and that caught my attention. I heard about their amazing campus community that offered Bible studies, Chapel services, sporting events and so much more. That became a huge selling point, as that was exactly the kind of environment I wanted to be in.

Credit Acceptance

As I spoke with the man in the purple shirt, I began to ask questions about how my credits would transfer. He offered me a free LOPES Credit Evaluation. All I had to do was give him my transcripts from community college, and he could tell me what credits would transfer. As he entered my information I became nervous – every Arizona university I had visited said that they would only take 60 of my 78 credits, and I didn’t want to be stuck in the same situation.

As he handed me my results, I was shocked! GCU accepted all of my credits, even my Spanish credits I earned through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). He informed me that GCU accepts up to 90 transfer credits, and I became ecstatic! This meant that I would only spend one year earning the rest of my degree at GCU, rather than spending twice the amount of time and twice the tuition at any other Arizona university.

At this point, I was sure that GCU was the right school for me.

Transfer Specialists

As soon as I declared my interest in transferring colleges to GCU, the man in the purple assigned me to a transfer specialist. My transfer specialist was so helpful and available whenever I needed her. She would meet me at the Panera Bread by my house and walk me through each step of the transfer process. She told me everything I needed to know about my new city, classes and tuition. Transferring to GCU was a breeze with her by my side, and I would not have wanted to transfer to any other school in any other way!

Due to GCU’s community, credit acceptance and transfer specialists, I became confident in my decision to transfer to Grand Canyon University to earn my degree. After spending six months on campus, I have only grown more proud to be a member of the GCU community and actively live their Christian identity. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking to transfer to an accredited private Christian university!

To learn more about the transfer process at Grand Canyon University, contact us today and request more information.

About Jessica Meyer
Marketing Major, Digital Marketing Assistant

Jessica Meyer is a senior at Grand Canyon University. She was raised in Tucson, AZ, but recently moved to Phoenix to attend traditional classes at GCU. Jessica is majoring in marketing in the Colangelo College of Business. It is her first and last year studying at the main campus, and she wishes her time at GCU could last longer! She loves GCU so much, that she hopes to continue to work for GCU’s marketing department after graduation. When she’s not studying or working on campus, she likes to practice and perform with her dance team and spend time with her friends and family.

Read more about Jessica