Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

My Journey to Honors

0

By Angela Bratt
Marketing Major, Honors College

Growing up in Michigan, I heard very little about Grand Canyon University, let alone their Honors College. On a Discover trip, I learned about GCU and fell in love with all of the opportunities that were offered by the university to students. I was shocked by the amount of potential growth I could have at GCU. Everyone I spoke with had such positive things to say.

To be honest, I thought it was a hoax. What university would offer so many amenities for such a low cost? GCU has three resort-style pools, dozens of palms trees, four workout facilities, engineering labs – plus it’s free to join the Honors College (unlike most universities)! Not to mention, the weather is much warmer here!

But the best thing is that the professors genuinely care about their students. As I was considering to either accept or decline the Honors College invitation, I was highly recommended by many students and faculty to accept. I cannot thank them enough! Honors has opened the door and many avenues to various opportunities I would not have been exposed to otherwise.

My Opportunities in the Honors College

Since joining the Honors College, I have been so blessed to have many amazing leadership opportunities. I attended PAC Boot Camp and finished in third place. I got a plaque and had the opportunity to sit down with the dean of the Honors College, Dr. Antoinette Farmer.

I was also appointed as team lead by Dr. Randy Gibb, dean of the Colangelo College of Business, to lead a team of students to research, develop and implement a servant leadership development course or center. I gained management and leadership experience by facilitating meetings, working with top-level executives, developing presentations skills and presenting our idea in front of Jerry Colangelo and GCU President Brian Mueller. As a team, we were awarded an Honors College exclusive scholarship for our hard work.

I was also awarded the Freshman of the Year Award by the Honors College due to my involvement throughout the year, which was a huge honor. I have also had exclusive opportunities to attend an Integrity Summit, assist in leading the Honors College business club, staff events on behalf of the Honors College, the Honors College student advisory board, peer mentor students and assist with PAC Boot Camp. Currently, I have a job working for the Honors College. Being actively involved has majorly impacted my experience at GCU and has exposed me to unique, sometimes exclusive, opportunities.

I would highly recommend others to join the Honors College as it has been instrumental in my development at GCU. The Honors College has grown tremendously over the past few years and it will continue to do so. There will consistently be more and more unique projects or opportunities for honors students as the college continually expands.

The Honors College at GCU offers exclusive experiences for bright and motivated students. Learn more by visiting our website or requesting more information using the button on this page.

About Angela Bratt
Marketing Major, Honors College

Angela Bratt is a junior studying marketing with a minor in graphic design and advertising at Grand Canyon University. Angela is an active member of the Honors College and currently holds positions as the Colangelo Scholars liaison and the business living learning community ambassador. Angela also serves students as an RA in freshman housing. She is passionate about people and genuinely loves getting to know new people. She is originally from Grand Rapids, Michigan and is pursuing a future career in marketing or something under the realm of being an event planner/coordinator.

Read more about Angela.