Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Inspiring Mentors

0

By Morgan Lentz
Marketing Major, Honors College

There are just some people in life that motivate you to be a better person. Everyone has a role model- whether it’s a parent, a coach, a professor or even a friend. There is just that one someone who teaches you things you never knew you needed.

For me, this is Michael Pollack- Founder and CEO of Pollack Investments, one of the largest real estate companies in Arizona. Growing up, lots of little girls wanted to be veterinarians or princesses, but I wanted to be a business woman. My parents have owned their own flooring company my whole life, and they always rented offices from Mr. Pollack. They always told me how generous, hardworking and logical he was- and meeting him for the first time was an honor to the weird 12-year-old that I was. What inspires me about this particular business man is how hard he works. He came from no education, but rose to incorporate properties all across Arizona, California and Nevada. I was intrigued about his drive and sense for business, and those values are what have carried me through my studies at GCU’s Honors College.

Michael Pollack is an idea, an abstract template of the kind of person I want to be in my career. He inspires me to go the extra mile because he shows me that hard work and determination can get you farther in life than just a simple title. In reality, I haven’t worked extensively with him. Instead, I look to how he handles his business and how he makes his tenants feel to help guide the way I carry myself in the future. A role model can be anyone you look to for wisdom- either in personal relationships, career advancement or moral values. To me, being successful is beyond how much money you make or the sign that sits on your desk; success is building lasting relationships and making your work worthwhile- in whatever way you measure worthiness.

Who inspires you? Who makes you want to go the extra mile in your field to be the best you can be?

That is who has motivated me to go the extra mile, someone whose values and impression has stuck with me from my awkward junior-high stages until now. I know that as I begin to embark on my journey to my professional career, Mr. Pollack’s generosity and endurance has shaped the ideal Business leader I strive to be.

The Honors College at GCU offers exclusive experiences for bright and motivated students. Learn more by visiting our website or requesting more information using the button on this page.

About Morgan Lentz
Marketing Major, Honors College

Morgan Lentz is in her first year of earning her Bachelor of Science in Marketing through the Colangelo College of Business, as well as the Honors College. Her dream job would be to work within a Chief Marketing Consultant role for a company. Morgan is also a part of the marketing team for the Honors College at GCU, where she enjoys learning real -life skills that can be applied towards her professional career. As an Arizona native, she appreciates warm weather and hiking around the valley, as well as hanging out with friends, playing intramurals, and traveling.

Read more about Morgan.