Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Honors Student Spotlight: Alexis Pawlak

0

By Cinthia Monge
Marketing Major, Honors College

Among the fall 2015 class of Grand Canyon University graduates, our own Alexis Pawlak became the first student to graduate from the Honors College with a Bachelor of Science in Biology with an Emphasis in Pre-Medicine.

“I had no idea I would be the first honors graduate,” Pawlak expressed in surprise.

Pawlak credits her experience in the Honors College for her readiness to dive into the next step in her life. “The Honors College provided me with a deeper understanding of classes and life without unloading a ton of extra work on me.

“It helped me to grow closer relationships with my professors, who wrote me letters of recommendation that helped get me into dental school. That was my biggest personal goal, and I felt that being an honors student gave me that extra time and communication with professors that helped keep me prepared not only in class but also with my personal struggles.”

After living through everything the undergraduate experience has to offer, Pawlak advised other honors students to challenge themselves. “Put in the extra effort in a project or a class overall. I have always found that when you put more into your classes, you gain exponentially more from them. Secondly, and very importantly, utilize your professors. You do not have to have questions – just go into their office hours and say hi!”

What is the next step for Pawlak? Dental school!

“I am so excited to start my career in the dental profession!”

We are, too! Congratulations, Alexis! We cannot wait to see the next cohort of students graduate with their well-deserved honors designation.

Want to learn more about the campus experience here at GCU? Visit our website or contact us using the Request More Information button at the top of the page.

About Cinthia Monge
Marketing Major, Honors College

Cinthia Monge is from Chihuahua, Mexico, but has lived in sunny Phoenix for the majority of her life. She is a senior studying business with an emphasis in marketing in Grand Canyon University’s Colangelo College of Business. When she graduates, she aims to work as a marketing and public relations specialist for a news station, magazine, music company or nonprofit organization. In the meantime, Cinthia serves as a marketing and public relations lead for the Honors College at Grand Canyon University. In her spare time, she enjoys seeking and listening to new music, watching all kinds of films, going to concerts and exploring new places with family and friends.

Read more about Cinthia