Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Finding Tatum’s Purpose: Welcome Week

0

By Tatum Sorrelman
Business Management Major, Colangelo College of Business

This week has been like nothing I’ve ever experienced before.

My family and I woke up very early the morning I moved in to try to beat the traffic. During the entire ride over to GCU my stomach was in knots. I was excited to move in, but I was also scared. I had to say goodbye to my dog earlier that morning, so I was already emotional, and the fear only intensified as we got closer to campus.

As soon as we got onto campus, my family and I were greeted by students. It was so cool to see so many people out there to help make the move-in process a little easier. Students were shouting my name and cheering me on as we drove to my building. It made me smile and laugh, which eased my nerves.

Once we got close enough to the building, students swarmed our car and took out all of the boxes. From there, we went up to my dorm room. Unpacking my boxes and decorating my room was one of the best, yet worst parts about moving in. I enjoyed every moment of making my room my own, but at the same time, the closer I got to being done, the closer the time was coming for my family to leave.

I am very close to each of my family members. Although I only live 30 minutes away from campus, saying goodbye to them was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do. I cried saying goodbye to them and I’m even getting teary-eyed thinking about them now. It’s hard for me to imagine how I’m going to get through everything without them by my side. I miss them all so much already. But the events that I’ve gone through have helped take my mind off of everything.

The night I moved into my dorm, the campus cooldown was going on. Truthfully, I didn’t want to go. I was feeling depressed about my family leaving and I didn’t want to socialize. But going to the event was exactly what I needed. I was able to meet tons of people and I was able to smile and laugh, which was something that I needed to do. There were waterslides, shaved ice and music. It really made the atmosphere fun. That night I went to bed pretty late and I slept successfully without falling off of my bed.

Each event that I have attended has been a blast. I have been able to be a part of GCU by going to different events and each one has made me feel more comfortable living on campus. I’m still adjusting to everything and taking things one day at a time. But getting involved has definitely eased my stress and anxiety. I’m nervous for my classes, but I can’t wait to finally get started on my education and my future.

Want to follow my journey at GCU? Be sure to check back here to learn more about my campus experience.

About Tatum Sorrelman

Tatum Sorrelman is the oldest child in a family of five, and she enjoys every minute of it. Being the oldest has given her a lot of responsibilities and has helped form her personality. Her family is very important to her, and she enjoys spending time with them. Her culture is important to her as well; she is Navajo and she tries to learn as much about her heritage as she can. Tatum loves music; it has always been a big part of her life. She can play the flute, the tuba and a little bit of the guitar, too. She also really enjoys going to concerts and listening to music live with her friends and family. In addition, she also likes to sing and act. She has performed in numerous productions like “Footloose” and “Peter Pan,” and she has always enjoyed the excitement that it gives her to be a part of something that so many people have worked hard for.

Read more about Tatum.