Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Finding Tatum’s Purpose: Settling In

0

By Tatum Sorrelman
Business Management Major, Colangelo College of Business

College has been so different than anything I am used to. It is so strange for me to not be in school all day long. I am still adjusting to the schedule, but I love my classes. I think that it is so cool to be able to work on subjects that I am actually interested in. It is mind blowing to me that I am working toward my career. The homework load actually isn’t too bad for me. I am so used to having tons of homework in high school that this is manageable for me. I have actually been able to get ahead in some of my classes!

I am still getting used to being on my own. It is strange for me to have lived in the same room as my sister for 16 years and now to not be in that room anymore. It is also weird to be so focused on myself. I am the oldest in my family and I am so used to caring for everyone around me. Now that I am on my own, I have so much time to focus on my future and my life separate from my family. That is something that is hard for me to do. I do still miss my family, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was during the first week of school.

I have started to settle into a routine, and for me, that helps tremendously. I really am enjoying life on campus. Although at times it is difficult and I cry, I know that this is where I belong. I am making so many new friends and I am growing closer to God too. It is crazy to me how much time has already gone by. It is crazy to think that in a few short months, I will already be done with my first semester of college!

Want to be a part of my GCU journey? Be sure to keep up with me here to learn all about my experiences on campus.

About Tatum Sorrelman

Tatum Sorrelman is the oldest child in a family of five, and she enjoys every minute of it. Being the oldest has given her a lot of responsibilities and has helped form her personality. Her family is very important to her, and she enjoys spending time with them. Her culture is important to her as well; she is Navajo and she tries to learn as much about her heritage as she can. Tatum loves music; it has always been a big part of her life. She can play the flute, the tuba and a little bit of the guitar, too. She also really enjoys going to concerts and listening to music live with her friends and family. In addition, she also likes to sing and act. She has performed in numerous productions like “Footloose” and “Peter Pan,” and she has always enjoyed the excitement that it gives her to be a part of something that so many people have worked hard for.

Read more about Tatum