Connect with the colleges of Grand Canyon University (GCU) through the GCU Community page. Enjoy a collection of the latest news, events and hot topics that GCU’s Deans, faculty, staff and students have prepared. As an aggregate of the colleges’ blog, you will find an assortment of topics assembled on this community page. Click around and get lost in the engaging content provided by GCU.

Finding Tatum’s Purpose: Road Trip to Sedona!

0

By Tatum Sorrelman
Business Management Major, Colangelo College of Business

When thinking about Arizona, most people picture cacti, desert, cowboys and heat. It’s actually pretty funny how many people ask me if I know any cowboys when they find out that I live in Arizona. And yes, there are cowboys here, but that is not the only thing that defines Arizona. Arizona has lots of different places to explore that don’t fit the stereotype of a desert filled with cowboys and cactus.

Sedona is one such place. If you have never been to Sedona, I highly recommend taking a road trip to see all the beauty it has to offer. I took a trip with my friends to see Sedona and I am so glad that I did. It took a couple of hours to get there but I didn’t mind because the drive was filled with amazing scenery.

Once we got there, we explored the town. Sedona has so many shops to browse and discover. Each shop has its own unique feel, which makes the shopping trip that much more exciting. We looked at most of the shops and I even purchased a couple of things, which may or may not have included a large amount of fudge.

After our shopping was done, we decided to hike. I was not dressed for a hiking adventure, which made the hike a bit more interesting. The view was breathtaking and we took lots of amazing pictures.

As we drove home, I remember thinking that I couldn’t believe this was the first time I’d ever been to Sedona. How could I have lived in Arizona my entire life and never experienced the weather and beauty of this place? I guess that’s the point of my college journey. You never know what’s out there until you go and explore.

If you want to see some of the trip through my eyes, check out the video below:

Keep up with the rest of my first year campus experience at GCU by following my blog: Finding Tatum’s Purpose!

About Tatum Sorrelman

Tatum Sorrelman is the oldest child in a family of five, and she enjoys every minute of it. Being the oldest has given her a lot of responsibilities and has helped form her personality. Her family is very important to her, and she enjoys spending time with them. Her culture is important to her as well; she is Navajo and she tries to learn as much about her heritage as she can. Tatum loves music; it has always been a big part of her life. She can play the flute, the tuba and a little bit of the guitar, too. She also really enjoys going to concerts and listening to music live with her friends and family. In addition, she also likes to sing and act. She has performed in numerous productions like “Footloose” and “Peter Pan,” and she has always enjoyed the excitement that it gives her to be a part of something that so many people have worked hard for.

Read more about Tatum